Notices

Looking/Interested in a new Civic...any advice?

Old 05-28-2003, 08:42 AM
Rynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking/Interested in a new Civic...any advice?

I currently own a 1998 Ford Contour SE (4cyl Zetec, Auto). It's not a terrible car, but the resale value on it will be next to nothing once it's paid off in a couple of years and the CD4E auto tranny isn't known for it's reliability. Also, Ford doesn't really have anything else I'm very interested in (I think the Focus is one of the worst ideas ever). I've kept up on the maintenance like a hawk and it runs great, and only has 68k miles. Now, my fiance needs a new car and doesn't want something overly expensive, and kind of likes my little 'Tour. She told me she'd take over the payments on the Contour for the remaining two years, and then I'll give her the title so she can keep/trade/do whatever she'd like with it.

Herein lies my question; I've always wanted to own a fun manual shift car and I've heard nothing but good things about Hondas. I'm not one of those "OMG I SAW THAT CAR ON FAST AND FURIOUS I WANT AN IMPORT!" kind of guy, but I know several people with 10+ year old Hondas that run almost like new, and are still worth more than the measly $500 my car would be worth. The Accords are pretty pricey, and I don't want to pay more than $15,000 if I really have to. I've seen a few 2003 Civics for about $13,000 MSRP (which I'm sure I could get knocked down) and I've also seen a bunch of Certified Used Civics. The 2003 I looked at had no power options except for steering and brakes, but I get the bonus of a brand new car and manufacturer warranty. With a Certified Used, I get a warranty somewhat and also might get a few power options, but of course it'll have a few miles on it and I won't know exactly where it's been. What would you do in my situation?

Also, what types of Civics would you suggest (such as SI, LX, EX, DX, etc) for a guy who just wants a fun sedan with manual shift, and still afford to take the woman out to dinner at least once a year? I don't want anything really sporty, but I don't want a really small cramped car as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 05-28-2003, 08:46 AM
Outxider
X-Motoring

get any of the 92-00 civic EX sedan manual.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:48 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Well the sedan doesn't come in an SI trim, so that rules that out. I don't suggest the DX because it doesn't have any creature comforts like power door locks and windows. If I were to do it again I'd get an EX for all the power options and the sun/moon roof - sure it is a little heavier but you get a nice i-VTEC engine to start with, which is a better base than the DX/LX motor. :thumbup:
Old 05-28-2003, 09:55 AM
NoRiCeHeRe

Well you can't go wrong if you buy a Civic. I would agree with Outxider that you would want to stick with the newest year you can and atleast get the EX. :thumbup: I love my '98 Civic EX, but my suggestion is ask yourself what you plan on doing with it? Then make your informed decision, my only other suggestion would be to get an Integra since they are very similar. Just my $0.02. Let us know what you do.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:08 AM
BonzoAPD

I like the SI. It is being sold lower than sticker price too. It's a great value.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:30 PM
Rynn

Originally posted by NoRiCeHeRe
Well you can't go wrong if you buy a Civic. I would agree with Outxider that you would want to stick with the newest year you can and atleast get the EX. :thumbup: I love my '98 Civic EX, but my suggestion is ask yourself what you plan on doing with it? Then make your informed decision, my only other suggestion would be to get an Integra since they are very similar. Just my $0.02. Let us know what you do.
Ok, another question then: What is the difference between the SI and the EX, LX, DX, etc?

Also, why are the 92-00 (I'm guessing 5th Gen right?) Civics better than the 01-present? Looks, handling/mechanical, interior?
Old 05-28-2003, 12:31 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i were to do it over again, i'd still get a 92-95 sedan. i love it. ex all the way. if i had to get something else, it'd probably be an integra. it does really depend on what you want to do with it. make it alot faster? or just make it fun enough to drive. the new si's are nice, but not 4 doors. the new civic sedans are nice, but the coupes look better. :dunno:
Old 05-28-2003, 12:39 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Rynn
Ok, another question then: What is the difference between the SI and the EX, LX, DX, etc?

Also, why are the 92-00 (I'm guessing 5th Gen right?) Civics better than the 01-present? Looks, handling/mechanical, interior?
the list you gave ... si, ex, lx, dx ... do down in order of trim level. for the eg's (5th gen...92-95) the si's and the ex's are the same. just that si's came as hatches, ex's were coupes and sedans. lx has power stuff, no moonroof, no vtec. dx has power nothing, 1.5l non-vtec engine (i believe). and there's the cx that has nothing but a/c. cx for swaps (because it's the lightest). only comes in hatches i believe. 5th gens are better because they're cheaper and alot of integra parts work on the civics too (like engine swaps). 92-95 = 5th gen = eg. 96-00 = 6th gen = ek. 01+ = 7th gen = ep(for the si) em for the coupe and sedan.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:42 PM
96GreenCivic

When I went to buy my Civic, I had a choice between an LX 4 Dr and an EX 2Dr but with a little more mileage. I chose the EX. I loved the moonroof. I didn't even know there was a diff in engines at that time either, but def go for an EX model trim. You'll be a lot happier in the long run. I did buy the car used, but not problems yet. Just had all the belts done and water pump and a tune up a while ago. so I haven't spent much money on maintenence so far. I do have to replace the boots on the steering underneath? but all I've had to do is just regular maintenence. this is my 1st Honda and I love it. I would never buy another GM car again. Hope that helps
Old 05-28-2003, 12:57 PM
agent87
Need zzzzz's

Originally posted by Outxider
get any of the 92-00 civic EX sedan manual.
Agreed.

I think that you'd be happy with any of the EX trim level sedans with a manual transmission. I haven't paid much attention to how old the cars that they certify have to be but I'd assume, you'll have to get at least a 2000 model or newer. The 2000 chassis seems like it would be more fun than the 2001 and up but test drive both and see what you think. Good luck.