Notices

HELP!! 95 d16z6 in a 93 eg 4door, idles fine but won't rev past 3000

Old 12-09-2010, 10:13 PM
huenglo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! 95 d16z6 in a 93 eg 4door, idles fine but won't rev past 3000

I bought a 95 ex with a d16z6 with my FAFSA money and drove it 2 days befor I was ran off the road into a ditch and totalled it. The engine still ran fine so I found a 4door ex(some @#%$&@ put an ex badge on a EG) with a blown head gasket. It was an auto but I changed the engine and tranny. I realized it was an EG so I swapped the floorboard harness. I have the exact setup as the 2 door ex now. A d16z6 with a p28 ecu. Now to the problem. It starts up right away and idles fine. I had to replace the the TPS and O2 sensor to get it this way and the exhaust manifold because it cracked the holes around the mounting bolts. When I try to give it gas it sounds like a car with a MAF sensor does with the intake tube off. This happens around 3000rpm. The engine is fine and I don't have any intake leaks. It pulls the roaming idle fit every now and then but around 1000 to around 1500. Ive been all over forum after forum and it has to be something stupidly simple but it has me baffled. Bought a throttle body with a good TPS. Map sensor doesn't throw codes either. I didnt know you had to calibrate the TPS. But like I said No codes are being thrown. If I cover the Throttle Body with my hand it dies so I assume no leaks, plus I have checked all the hoses. I have sprayed ether around the intake(while it's cold of course) to check for intake leaks and everything seems fine. I've owned 5 300zx's and if it were a nissan it would be the intake hose off the MAF sensor. That is the best way I can explain what the symptoms are. I did replace the floorboard harness. Is there a relay or something that connects to it under the dash that would cause my problem? What is the equivilent to a Mass Air Flow sensor on a 92-95 honda? in other words what sensor tells how much air is entering the engine?I put a gauge on my fuel filter and it is showing 80psi it had an adjustable regulator so i changed it to a stock regulator. I am stumped. it still has no codes and wont rev past 3000. ive checked grounds and everything. i will check to see if the evap/purge canister vacuum lines are crossed in the morning. it idles absoluttely perfect and i ran it for an hour tonight but it wont rev!!!Thanx for any suggestions
Old 12-12-2010, 02:21 PM
fathergoat
:3

did you swap the ecu when you swapped the engine/tranny? if not you have an ecu for an automatic trying to work on a manual. that would cause some weird issues. it sounds like the ecu is running in "limp mode" meaning it knows something is wrong and is dumping a bunch of fuel and limiting the revs so you could drive it without risking too much damage. but unless it's throwing a code it's going to be very hard to narrow down because it could be just about any sensor.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:15 PM
huenglo

yeah I have a p28 manual running it. Ive got 80psi on my fuel pressure gauge and the adjustable reg that was on it wouldnt change it and ive tried oem regulators to lower it. it idles fine but if i give any throttle it boggs so after troubleshooting for weeks and triple checking vacuum lines this has to be the issue. i have no idea what would cause it. Its not throwing any codes.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:59 PM
huenglo

the cat was glowing after about an hour of idling so I straightpiped it back to a Resonator new from Nopi about 7 years ago and no change. Im absolutely stumped. I guess check the distributer? and maybe borrow a good ecu? any Sugestions?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:42 AM
huenglo

Got the car to rev sitting still. The distributor was apparanetly bad maybe the CPS or something. I stuck a D15 non vtec on it even though it wouldnt bolt up and it fired and revves great. Took the insides out and transfered it to my dist housing. Now it just has a spot between about 3200 and 4500 that you have to ease through the throttle going down the road to get it any higher but you can at least drive it like a normal person but no hot-rodding yet. Gonna put a led on the vtec sol. and see if it is kicking in and play with the timing. Clean the FITV and see where Im at there I guess
Old 01-13-2011, 03:47 AM
huenglo

no change!! Any ideas???
Old 01-14-2011, 02:05 PM
fathergoat
:3

sorry I've got nothing
Old 02-15-2011, 03:35 PM
ls_civic_guy

ok now i have had a similar problem with a 93 civic dx with b18c gsr swap. when i was placing the head i used copper spray on the head gasket to increase strength and aparently some had dripped onto my camshaft position sensor causing an engine light and code easily detected if you know what your looking at on the scanner. it caused my car to hit the rev limmiter at 3200 rpms. . . i hope this helps you