Notices

Adjustable Lowering Springs?

Old 05-03-2003, 06:14 AM
HouseofKolorEX
I get off on WD 40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable Lowering Springs?

Hi guys,

Gots a question. I have a 95 EX 2dr and I'm looking into dropping it. It's still a year round car for me, so I might have to drive it in the snow sometimes. Can you give me some more info on the adjustable springs? How long does it take once they're in to lower and raise the car. My thought being that I could have it dropped in the summer and come early winter, raise it back up again. I've heard some good and bad about them. What kinds should I look for and stay away from? How much am I looking at for the kit and install? Take it easy on me, b/c I've never really dealt with lowrering kits. Thanks!
Mindi :driving:
Old 05-03-2003, 07:48 AM
Motohip

Well, first off they're call coilovers. I've had skunk2's with Tokico illuminas (5 way adj.) and the ride was really stiff. Actually too stiff for my tastes. The coilovers were $250 I think and the struts were $100 a piece cause I got a good deal ($120 elsewhere). That's $650 just for parts. I did it myself, but labor would've cost around $200 at the speed shop, but if you go to a mechanic, they'll charge you $100 per corner. That's a lot of money so far. You should get a camber kit which will cost maybe $150-$200? maybe? And an alignment which costs about $60. A lifetime one at Firestone costs like $120, but I don't know if they're still doing it. So let me add this up...that's $1060 at the least and...$1450 at the most.

Now that's with this set up. I have, on my current car, the Tokico fulll coilovers. That means adj. strut/spring combo. Cost was $750 I think. The ride is 100% better.

The thing is, the coilovers will sit a bit lower than stock even when adjusted all the way up. Should still be ok in snow though with good tires.

Whatever you do, DON'T get coilovers without new struts. The springs are too stiff for the stock ones.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:08 AM
EG_Oto

i have GC/kyb agx on my car and i like em a lot... stay away from cheapo brands.. your car will ride crappy
Old 05-03-2003, 08:10 AM
laosracer860

get the coil over kit that is in your buget and tell me ur buget and i'll give u more in for cause i work at a shop selling things so give me the info need and i'll tell you the best one for that price with good ability....
Old 05-03-2003, 09:13 AM
onebadassdx

i'm runnin aerospeed coils with stock struts and i'm all over the road, kills my launches like crazy. save up and do it right.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:16 AM
HouseofKolorEX
I get off on WD 40

I have no problem spending good money on good parts. I do have a prob with spending good money on sh*tty parts however. Don't get me wrong... if I can get good quality parts for a few dollars less by going with a diff brand or whatever... I have no beef with that. I have a friend that is a mechanic and he can help me out with the install most likely. If not, no big deal, I can shell out for the labor. I guess I just want to know what kind to start looking for, ya know what I'm sayin'? :driving:
Mindi
Old 05-03-2003, 02:28 PM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Skunk2 c/os and Koni Yellows and I really like it all. It takes me maybe 10 minutes to change the height all the way around.

I can get you pricinig on some suspension stuff if you want? PM me if interested.
Old 05-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Outxider
X-Motoring

same here. very nice ride.

Originally posted by westcoaststyle
I have Skunk2 c/os and Koni Yellows and I really like it all.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:28 PM
T-RO

Also remember if youre strictly looking for aesthetics and comfort you dont need to shell out for big $$$ race stuff.
Old 05-05-2003, 04:15 AM
HouseofKolorEX
I get off on WD 40

I'm not looking for aesthetics... well... sort of... but it's not my first priority. I'm looking into it for many reasons. I've driven a CX w/coilovers and I just loved the ride a lot more. When I got back into my Civic, it kinda felt squirley. Hey WestCoast.. how is the ride once you raise the height on them?