Notices

Mad at my 98 civic LX! Sudden power loss / hesitation is making me nuts!

Old 04-26-2003, 07:44 PM
EddieP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mad at my 98 civic LX! Sudden power loss / hesitation is making me nuts!

I've got a 98 Civc LX, and recently it has developed a very strange problem - for the first couple of minutes after start up, the car has abrupt and intermittent power loss... I'll be driving, and all of the sudden the power just cuts out completely (no matter how much gas I give it, the car keeps slowing down), and then, just as soon as it started, the power snaps right back... it'll do this several times. If I come to a complete stop when the power loss occurs, the car will idle very low and rough.

So far, I've changed the fuel pump and filter, and the distributor cap, rotor, and spark plugs... no effect whatsoever. Anyone know what could be causing this?!?!
Old 04-26-2003, 08:25 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

Does it only do this when it's cold, or after it warms up as well?
Old 04-26-2003, 08:46 PM
EddieP

It does it with the motor hot or cold after start up... I *think* that it happens more when the engine is cold, but I'm not sure.
Old 04-26-2003, 08:52 PM
Xiberius

Umm...

this is just a shot in the dark, but you might want to take a look at your O2 sensor...?
Old 04-26-2003, 08:59 PM
StinkyFatPig

when you first start your car up, do you start driving right away.. or do you let it sit for a second to warm up? like nothing too long.. even like 20 seconds.. ?
Old 04-26-2003, 09:24 PM
EddieP

Haven't touched the O2 sensor yet - not sure how it would cause the problems I'm having, but I'm definitly open to ideas. I guess I could unplug the O2 sensor and force open loop mode... if that eliminates the problem, then I'll go grab a new o2 sensor and see what gives.

My wife and I usually start driving pretty soon after the car turns over... definitely don't wait as long as 20 seconds to drive it.
Old 04-26-2003, 09:32 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

I was thinking more along the lines of Idle Air Control motor. Sometimes if they get carboned up, you can get some really goofy idle conditions. It could be EGR as well. Have you tried running some fuel injector cleaner through it?

Also, is your check engine light coming on during any of this?
Old 04-26-2003, 09:34 PM
ffslide
Banned

i dont think its your o2...if it was your secondary one would signal you that it was bad.... you only have a 5 year old car with i am guessing around 60,000 miles.. it seems like a throttle body sensor problem, did you check your distributor cap.. wires may be loose,,

i have a 98 ex with 164,000 miles on it, never changed anything major, solid compression, now i just want to see how far i can go before it dies...
Old 04-27-2003, 11:30 AM
EddieP

Originally posted by ffslide
i dont think its your o2...if it was your secondary one would signal you that it was bad.... you only have a 5 year old car with i am guessing around 60,000 miles.. it seems like a throttle body sensor problem, did you check your distributor cap.. wires may be loose,,

i have a 98 ex with 164,000 miles on it, never changed anything major, solid compression, now i just want to see how far i can go before it dies...
It's got a little over 70k miles... I installed a new distributor cap and rotor yesterday, and put the fuel pump/fuel filter in last weekend. Might pull off the EGR valve and see if there is a problem there... after that, I really don't know where to look next. You think the TPS sensor might be the problem? Any way to check it? I wish I had some data logging or diagnostic software so I could figure out what exactly is going on
Old 04-27-2003, 11:35 AM
EddieP

Originally posted by Hondaman
I was thinking more along the lines of Idle Air Control motor. Sometimes if they get carboned up, you can get some really goofy idle conditions. It could be EGR as well. Have you tried running some fuel injector cleaner through it?

Also, is your check engine light coming on during any of this?
Don't think it is a problem with the IAC motor - the problem car happen when the engine is at speed (3k rpm, for example), not just at idle. I'll get some injector cleaner next time I'm at the parts store, and I'll definitely check the EGR valve the next chance I get. Never had the check engine light come on - almost wish that it did, as I could have the code scanned and know where to look for the problem.