Notices

timing belts civic 1996+

Old 04-20-2003, 02:16 PM
maskedSONY
-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belts civic 1996+

im not as familar with the 6th gen civic as i am the 5th gen. my friend wants to buy this really nice DX with 130K on the clock.

The seller doesnt have records as when the car recieved its last service. After test driving the car, it seems the suspension and chassis are fine. However, when i asked him about the timing belt, he said "hey it runs, what does it matter." i then proceeded to ask him on when it was last checked again. he then said he didnt know.

i wanted to know how much a timing belt replacement job would cost from you guys, because i need to inform the seller about the significance of that timing belt.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:44 PM
Hondaman
Black Pearl

I believe it between $350 and $600 depending on if they change the water pump when they do it. Usually they also change the drive belts and do a full coolant flush as well. I would be a little concerned about buying a car from a guy with an attitude like that.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:46 PM
spookini

The service interval for the timing belt on the 6G is 105,000, so yeah, it is DEFINITELY overdue. I'd replace it as soon as you buy the car (first thing). Timing belt replacement is labor-intensive 'cause you've got to remove the driver's side uppper engine mount and p.steering pump. Anyhoo, I think $300-400 is going quote. But since youve got timing belt cover off, it's recommended you change the water pump, too (at 130k, it's due too). I called a Honda dealer once and those numskulls quoted me $700 for both timing belt and water pump. So you should tell the seller it's gonna be $900 to get the timing belt done, see if he'll knock the price down.

FYI, if you can do-it-yourself, the water pump is about $40 and I think timing belt is $20-30. Don't pay for labor if you don't have too!!
Old 04-20-2003, 07:52 PM
maskedSONY
-

the water pump has to be replaced as well? geez thats interesting.

aren't there do it yourself kits that honda sells over the internet?
Old 04-20-2003, 08:51 PM
Tirod

around 350.... and the shop i did wouldnt do it w/o the water pump along with it.. why? cause then the pump goes and you ruin a new belt...