Notices

Hazard lights not working - 98 EL

Old 10-01-2010, 10:38 PM
2009Canuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hazard lights not working - 98 EL

My hazard lights no longer work. I checked the fuse and it was fine, I even replaced it with a new one. Both turn signals work, so at least I know the bulbs are fine. But when I press the Hazard light switch, nothing. Could this be an expensive electrical problem? Also when I do use the turn signals, at times it'll work and then it'll make a buzzing sound. Anyone else experienced these problems?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:11 AM
IanB
MB4

Have you had this car long, and the hazards used to work? Have you had the HVAC/radio bezel apart lately? Can you describe the "buzzing" from the turn signal better, when does it buzz, when does it work fine, where is the buzzing coming from, etc? Might be a bad turn signal stalk, I would assume the hazard switch wiring runs through that switch.

I'm on my 3rd 1.6EL, not familiar with the problem though. Check out clubel.ca for lots of EL specific info.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:21 AM
2009Canuck

Hi IanB, thanks for the input.
I've had this car for about 3.5 years now. It's a used '98 EL which was working fine considering it came with 180,000 kms on the odometer. The buzzing came about 6 months ago. The buzzing sounds just like a buzzer that comes with those board games. It was a gradual at first, meaning when I turned the signal it would buzz for a second and then stop. Then for about a couple of months it worked well. When it buzzed the turn signal would stop working. After some fiddling around I realized that when I pressed the hazzard switch (above the clock) slightly it would somehow stop the buzzing and the turning light goes back on.

Now the hazzard lights stopped working completely. When I press the button I'll hear one click and nothing else. But strangely when the turning signal acts up with the buzzing sound, a light tap on the hazzard signal will fix it. So definitely there is some connection between the two. If it is the switch then how do I repair or replace it?

btw, thanks for the link to the EL site. I'll see what I can find there. Cheers
Old 10-12-2010, 09:43 AM
IanB
MB4

Originally Posted by 2009Canuck
Hi IanB, thanks for the input.
I've had this car for about 3.5 years now. It's a used '98 EL which was working fine considering it came with 180,000 kms on the odometer. The buzzing came about 6 months ago. The buzzing sounds just like a buzzer that comes with those board games. It was a gradual at first, meaning when I turned the signal it would buzz for a second and then stop. Then for about a couple of months it worked well. When it buzzed the turn signal would stop working. After some fiddling around I realized that when I pressed the hazzard switch (above the clock) slightly it would somehow stop the buzzing and the turning light goes back on.

Now the hazzard lights stopped working completely. When I press the button I'll hear one click and nothing else. But strangely when the turning signal acts up with the buzzing sound, a light tap on the hazzard signal will fix it. So definitely there is some connection between the two. If it is the switch then how do I repair or replace it?

btw, thanks for the link to the EL site. I'll see what I can find there. Cheers
Taking apart the dash to get the hazard switch out is a bit of a PITA, there are instructions in the service manual, linked on the clubel site. Getting at the turn signal switch is a breeze though, just remove the steering column cover, and it will likely be held in with a few torx screws, maybe a 10 minute job total for that.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 PM
2009Canuck

Problem solved! It wasn't the relay switch after all, nor was it a faulty turn signal switch. It was the hazard switch on the dashboard! Aparently the circuit runs through this to get to the turning signal - where the buzzing sound was coming from. It wasn't getting the power to do it's job.

I took my car to a nearby mechanic and he did several tests with relay switch, checking all fuses, checking the light bulbs, and finally pulling out the hazard light switch and switching it with a known good one.....voila! hazards work and turn signals work AND no more buzzing!
Old 10-19-2010, 12:59 PM
IanB
MB4

Glad to hear it!