Notices

1998 honda civic dieing on me when driving and when I idle at intersections.?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:56 PM
honda1998civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 honda civic dieing on me when driving and when I idle at intersections.?

I have a 1998 honda civic 150,000 miles and it is dieing on me but will restart.. This happened to me before but it would restart and I would continue on and it would not happen again so I did not worry about it.. Well today it died on me while driving and it would restart but die out instantly.. I restarted it about 10 times while holding up traffic and it would die back down. Finally I just sat and could not get a hold of anyone on my cell phone to come pick me up so I tried to start car and it started up and I drove off.. Then I drove around town and it would die on me again and I could restart the car with no problems sometimes but other times It would die out on me like I mentioned earlier.. Anyway.. This happened to much to me to count the car reliable to be on the road.. I checked some grounds to see if they were loose... Next thing I will check tomorrow is the ends on the battery. Anyone have any suggestions on what could be the problem? Please posts you guys.. I need some input...
Old 09-25-2010, 10:48 AM
cruzalekz

Battery is good since it cranks the engine.

If your check engine is on, it could be a faulty cranks sensor or egr thats stuck open but i dont think your car is equipped with one.

If you got no check engine light, maybe a bad fuel pump, plugged up fuel filter, cap and rotor worn out, or your plugs are fouled/ worn out.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:41 PM
honda1998civic

Well fuel filter is less than 10,000 miles since replaced as well as the spark plugs... Did them at the same time...

I was thinking more that this car problem could be ignition switch or loose ground on starter? Is that possible? After all there was a recall on ignition switch years ago but did not get it fixed.. Is it possible to still get recall fixed being its been so long?
Old 09-25-2010, 02:35 PM
cruzalekz

not starter, starter only works when?? at startup , nothing else.

you are right it could be a ignition coil, but i rarely see these fail, the ones i know fails is the ignitor which is the transistor that triggers your coil from firing the plugs...
when you did the tune up, did you change the cap and the rotor?

does the car runs smoooth when it starts back up? could be a main relay problem too.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:47 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by honda1998civic
Well fuel filter is less than 10,000 miles since replaced as well as the spark plugs... Did them at the same time...

I was thinking more that this car problem could be ignition switch or loose ground on starter? Is that possible? After all there was a recall on ignition switch years ago but did not get it fixed.. Is it possible to still get recall fixed being its been so long?
I had a grounding problem and finally traced it to my fuse box ground. Sometimes my car would start other times it wouldn't. Sometimes while driving the lights and engine would sputter. The grounding bolt was loose. We thought it was the battery, the terminals etc.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:38 PM
fathergoat
:3

bad grounds can cause weird issues so it is wise to check them. it could be weak spark in which case check/replace the cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires. it could also just be some bad gas.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:02 AM
honda1998civic

took in the civic to get ignition switch replaced and it works great now... Something to do with the wiring but glad its running smooth now.. And coincidental I guess but now It goes in to gear easier... It used to not want to go into gear but now it works great after getting it back from dealership.. Thanks guys