Notices

98 civic air conditioner compressor clutch not kicking in anymore..

Old 08-30-2010, 02:49 PM
honda1998civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 civic air conditioner compressor clutch not kicking in anymore..

98 civic air conditioner compressor clutch not kicking in anymore.. Happened this morning it was working fine then it just started to blow hotter air so I realized the clutch was not engaging.. Is this time for a new compressor? Car is running like a champ or can I look into a pressure switch or what can I check before pinpointing the compressor for all this?
Old 09-03-2010, 09:22 AM
IanB
MB4

I had this issue on my '99 a couple of years ago, used the troubleshooting guide in the factory service manual and found the problem was a bad ecu! Car ran perfectly fine otherwise, swapped ecu's and I was back in business. Download the service manual if you haven't already, grab a multimeter, and go to town.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:38 AM
cruzalekz

see if you got voltage on the wires to compressor. if you do, then you need a compressor. or maybe its just the ac button switch that has a voltage drop
Old 10-16-2010, 07:58 PM
SCoupe

Default Start with the easy stuff !

Your compressor will not engage if there is a low charge in the system. Add a small amout of refridgerate with a die and make sure there are not leaks. Then Get the AC system recharged.

That is the exact same problem that I had on two vehicles, including the Civic. I thought it was a bad compressor as well. Very wrong I was. There was a leak in one of my supply lines, fixed it and got a recharge, then all is good.

I seriously doubt its your compressor.

Last edited by SCoupe; 10-16-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:18 AM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that problem on my teg before, the power wires were corroded and basically disconnected, repaired the wires and the compressor kicked on no problem. Id also throw a bottle of refrigerant in the system before any further trouble shooting continues just to be sure that you arent low on refrigerant.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:43 PM
Redline96LX

Yeah, check electrically. If the compressor gets too hot, itll kick off as well. Does it run when the car is running? Just makin sure it aint the condensor motor. CHeck its pressure, check the fuses, and check the relays. Its easy to check that crap before having to pay a shop to check its internals and junk.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:15 AM
honda1998civic

Ok well car is blowing condensor fan fuse so that keeps compressor from coming on.. I replaced fuse and compressor and condensor fan will come on... Does not last because the fuse will blow after a few minutes of running air conditioner so not sure which is actually the problem.. The compressor or condensor fan? Will the compressor blow anything else before blowing the condensor fan fuse? Or will the compressor even blow the condensor fan fuse? Its happening regularly so just confused on what is causing this? Could it even be low freon?