Notices

Looking at a 93 hatch ...have questions

Old 08-07-2010, 08:30 AM
LongDrive352

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a 93 hatch ...have questions

I am looking for a VX hatch to save gas on a long commute (140mi daily). I drive a 97 hx now, but am in search of the holy grail.

I looked at a 93 today which had its share of bumps and bruises on the outside, but the engine ran great...no smoke, good power...original VX rims, perfect interior.

There is a little bit of rust on the top of the rear wheel wells. And, it looks like the drivers door and driver's fender were replaced or repaired at some point.

I am most curious about the way the headlights match up to the corner markers in front. I looked all over for signs of a mashed up front end...overspray, bolt prints that look like they were moved, bad spacing on seams, etc, but cannot find anything to indicate a front end collision, yet the headlights stick out a good half inch on the edge where they meet the corner markers. I have not looked at this generation civic before, so I just want to ask...is that normal ? I can't imagine they'd stick out like that, but they are both sticking out the exact same amount, and I can't just can't find any other signs of a collision.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The guy says the timing belt, shocks, cv's etc were recently changed. It drives very smooth.

It has 195k miles on the clock.

He changed the VX transmission out for a DX ....I've heard the VX is geared pretty high, but he still has it, so I'd be putting that back in most likely. He said he has had it checked out, and can't find anything wrong with it, but that there was considerable "chatter" with the VX trans.

He was asking $3900, and came down to $3200. I know the VX is pretty hard to find. Does that sound reasonable ?

Thanks again for any info.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:03 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

195K for $3900 to $3200? WOW that seems a bit high. I got my Si with 204,000 for $3000 with a bad head gasket. I would talk him down some more.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Line7
Platinum Member

I wouldn't give more than 2K for that car. Forget the fact that its a honda, I look at it as a 17 year old econo-box with 200k on the clock. With 140mi. trips daily, you put on more than 30K miles a year. I would consider a low milage car if I was you. You probably wont find a 5gen civic with less than 150K on the odo, so I, personally, would consider a different car. Its your choice however, good luck.

Edit: I dont know about where you live, but in my area it would be almost impossible to find a car that old with no accidents.

Last edited by Line7; 08-08-2010 at 04:24 PM.