Notices

auto to manual swap on a 92-95 civic

Old 03-24-2003, 08:56 AM
fish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto to manual swap on a 92-95 civic

this will be posted on the web in a couple days with pics i will inform you when it is up.

Auto-Manual Swap for a 92-95 Honda Civic

1. When you are ever contemplating doing an auto to manual swap be sure to do your homework and don’t rely on this write up only. It is for reference only and may not include everything you need specifically. This is just what I had to do on mine when I did it.

2. The first thing you need to do is start gathering up all of the parts you are going to need to do this swap.
1. A manual transmission (obviously)
2. The pedal assembly from any 92-95 Honda Civic. (This can be picked up cheap form an import salvage yard and be sure to keep the two wiring harnesses that come off of the clutch pedal.)
3. The clutch master cylinder. (This can be picked up cheap form an import salvage yard.)
4. For a 92-95 civic the upper tranny bracket from a manual part # 60831-SR3-300ZZ from Honda. (Place Racing sells a mount you could use instead of this piece but if you know a welder this is the cheaper route.)
5. The hard lines that run along the firewall. (These can be picked up cheap form an import salvage yard.)
6. Shift linkage (Motor dependant on what linkage you use.)
7. Wire (speaker wire works okay)

3. Once all of that is acquired you are ready for the install. In my case I am doing a complete motor swap at the same time (See How To B16A2 into 92-95 Civic) so that removes any interference I may have from the engine itself.

4. What you want to do first is install the hard lines along the firewall.
1. Making sure as not to bend or break any of the lines this takes some patients.
2. All of the mounting points for these lines are already on your car so that makes it easier to install.

5. Once all of the lines are in place you want to next install the clutch master cylinder. This is where Honda was smart.
1. There is just a “plug” over the hole where the clutch master cylinder goes so all you have to do it remove this “plug” and bolt up the clutch master cylinder.

6. Now that you’re ready to supply power to the clutch you need to install the pedals.
1. You first need to remove your existing automatic pedal assembly to make room for the clutch.
2. Once the automatic pedals are removed you just replace them with the manual pedal assembly. This may take some maneuvering skills with the pedal assembly. In my case I was also removing my power steering and replaced the whole rack and pinion so this make removing and installing easier since I didn’t have the steering column in my way.

3. Be sure to ensuring that you hook back up your throttle cable, and cruise control cable (if applicable) to your gas pedal, your clutch master cylinder back up to the clutch pedal, and your brake master cylinder up to the brake pedal. You will need to also have some cotter pins to hold those bolts in place.

7. Now comes the difficult part of wiring your car so it doesn’t think it’s an automatic anymore. First off once the automatic shifter is removed be sure to save the wire harness that goes to the shifter you will need to connect a few wires on that.
1. The first two wires you need to connect are the two wires that run to the park position on the harness. Those colors are black/red and black/white.
2. The second two wires you need to connect are for the… You need to connect these two in order for you car to give your keys back. Those colors are green/white and black.
3. The third and final thing you need to wire up is the reverse lights. The reverse lights sensor is on the front of tranny and runs to who knows where inside the car. So what you need to do is to follow to where those reverse lights wires go to at the plugs of the wire harness. Once you located what pin position those wires go to pull out those two plugs and added a smaller wire around the pin and shoved it back in. Once in the plugs run the wire through the firewall and to the automatic shifter harness. Once there just connect these two wires to the reverse wires on the automatic wire harness. The reverse lights follow the same colors throughout the harness and even on the plug. These colors are green/black and yellow.

8. Next you need to be able to have the tranny mount up correctly due to the fact that the 92-95 Civic tranny-mounting brackets are different on automatics and manuals.
1. First thing you need to do is take off the automatic bracket and you can do this by getting a steel drill bit and drilling out the spot welds that hold it on. There are 12 of them. You can only get at ten of them due to the strut tower but that is okay. All you need to do is take a hammer to the bracket once the ten are drilled and it will break the other two.
2. Once the bracket is removed off of the frame you will need to grind the frame down to bare metal. Also ensure that any part of the spot weld that was not drilled off is grinded off as well to make a smooth surface. This is so you have a clean surface when welding. A Dremal tool works great here.
3. Next you need to find someone that welds and have them come and weld the manual bracket on for you. To ensure the proper placement find someone who has a manual already and make yourself a diagram. This is very important that you get it right or the motor wont go in right.
1. NOTE – Place Racing sells a mount for this as well so there is no need to remove the bracket and have a new one welded on. But I have heard they will break really easy.
9. Now it is time to install your tranny back into the vehicle and hook up all applicable lines and wires that are needed in order for the car to run.

10. Once the motor and tranny is back in place you are ready to install the shift linkage. Like stated earlier what shift linkage you use is dependent on what motor you are using. Since all of the automatic shift components are out of your way it is quite simple to install. Just connect the linkage to the tranny and lift it up to the hole where the automatic shift components once were. There are two bolts that you will need to get from a general hardware store in order for the linkage to stay up. Also in order for that to happen you also need to drill a couple holes for these bolts.
11. Now you are ready to start the car.

Once again keep in mind that this is only to be used as a reference.

Please refer any questions comments to civicb18b@hotmail.com
Old 03-24-2003, 09:17 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Good write-up thanks!! I might be doing auto -> manual on my sedan soon.
Old 03-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Xqu1sit

hmm thanks.. i wanna do it myself but i'm affraid i'll **** up the whole thing
Old 03-24-2003, 07:20 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Cashis EG8
Good write-up thanks!! I might be doing auto -> manual on my sedan soon.
DO IT and REDEEM yourself.
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 03-24-2003, 10:53 PM
Bakeoff
wooooo woooooooooo

I did a few things a little different as far as the motor mounts... And you didn't mention the ecu...
Old 03-25-2003, 07:02 AM
fish

i did a whole swap so i installed a b16a2 so if there is something you need to do to the stock ecu enlighten us an when i get it hosted i will add it in or if you dont wanna thats cool too.

but mine works fine and thats what i did.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:49 AM
Cashis EG8
Registered Rota Dealer

Originally posted by MaxBoosT
DO IT and REDEEM yourself.

:rofl: Yeah I might actually go back to working on the sedan. Auto -> manual + JRSC
Old 03-25-2003, 03:32 PM
dantastic
cx power!

if anyone's swapping their trannys, i have a stock civic 92-95 sohc manual shift linkage fs..... pm me