Notices

99 Si with weird problems

Old 07-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Cherry99Si

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Si with weird problems

So, I've done some researching and I think I know what's wrong but I'd like to see if anybody else has had these similar problems. I have a flashing SRS light that comes on and it stays on for 7 seconds. It turns off for 14 seconds and then comes back on. It didn't do it at all on my way to work (25 mile commute) but on the way home it did it up until about 5 miles away from home. I've read on Alldata and it's saying that it's either the voltage regulator or the alternator. I didn't know if anyone had ran into this same problem? It's been doing it for a couple of days now but now the light is more consistent. I have a stock EM1 Civic Si with a B16A2 with an intake and full exhaust, nothing too crazy lol. I just replaced the timing belt no too long ago, but it was doing it every couple of days before I replaced the belts.

2nd Problem:
This one is a little easier lol When I'm driving and I hit the brakes, my radio will shutoff for a second and then come right back on. It does it every now and again but its ONLY when I hit the brakes. Again, I was driving to work, nothing happened lol On my way home from work, it was doing it more. I've asked some friends and they think (which is what I think) that I've got a short in the radio harness/wiring. I do not have an aftermarket CD player/sound system or anything. Just aftermarket door & rear deck speakers. I do know that whoever owned the car before me did have an aftermarket CD player in the car before me, but when I bought it, it just had the stock tape player. So, it's def been tinkered with before. I switched out the tape deck for an OEM Honda CD player. I have had the CD player in for about 4 months now with no problems at all. Let me know what you guys think and thanks in advance!
Old 07-07-2009, 04:58 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Since your car is OBD2 I would take it to Honda and have them hook up a code reader to see.

But both your problems seem to be a grounding problem or a short in the car somewhere (heck they might be related). I'm gonna guess the battery first. Check to make sure the wires to the battery and coming from the battery are secure. I had a problem like this with my 00 Civic Si but I kept blowing my amp.

Next check the speaker wires. Ground and positive.

The last thing I can think of is the OEM CD player might be bad. Remember the code for each player is hard wired, and is also responsible for the door locks. If the CD player was dropped it could have cause internal damage. See if you can find someone to swap out headunits.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Cherry99Si

Cool. I have a buddy that works at Subaru, so I'll just have him scan the car because Honda will probably want to charge me a scan fee or something? lol I'm taking the CD player and cluster out tomorrow and checking all the wiring too. Speaker wires should be good, but I'll check them. As for the CD player, it is a remanned CD player, so that could be the problem right there? One of my really good buddies has a matching EM1 to mine, so I can probably swap out decks with him. Thanks for all the advice man!! It gets me going somewhere closer!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:31 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Does hurt to call and ask if they do. Most of the time diagnostics doesn't cost me anything. It's the actual labor involve to fix stuff.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Cherry99Si

So, I got the car scanned. Nothing came up. Got the alternator & battery tested and still nothing! They both tested fine. Checked the speaker wire, everything is hooked up properly and correctly. No loose wires to or from the battery either? I'm thinking maybe the ground or connector for the alternator might be dirty or loose from when I did the timing belt. Thats really the only answer I have to this crazy mishap! lol Ever since I got the car scanned and tested, it hasn't done it since. I think I have a haunted EK! haha