Notices

HELP squealing noise after car sat for 1 week!

Old 06-22-2009, 12:39 PM
ericgordon123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP squealing noise after car sat for 1 week!

hey guys, i went on vacation last week, left my car sitting in pretty shitty weather for 5 days. when i first started it up, it kinda puttered and hesitated, then it eventually started to idle fine. but when i reved it past about 2500rmps this weird squealing came from what i think was the engine or maybe on of the belts im not sure. i took it around my block and still did the same thing.

please let me know ASAP of what you think this could be

thanks a lot
Old 06-22-2009, 02:32 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a belt to me. Get under the hood with the car running and see if you can pinpoint where the noise is coming from. If it only occurs at 2500+, just open the throttle by hand.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:36 PM
ericgordon123

so its most likely from the belts but the thing is i cant tell which one because with my civic all the belts are run all together so the sound is coming from all of them..

what could of happened in the one week it was sitting? would the belt need to be replaced?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:39 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, belts just go bad over time. They have to start squeaking at some point, and it may just be a coincidence that it started squeaking after you were away.

Grab all the belts and tug on them a little bit to make sure they are properly tensioned. You should be able to move it a little bit, but it should feel pretty snug. If they are all nice and tight, then it may be time to replace them. Belts are cheap
Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Shameinator

check the belt that is hooked up to your alternator those are usually the ones that squeak. They stretch over time and csometimes need to be retightened. If its not that then go through the same process with your other belts. Air conditioning belts arew also common squeelers.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:26 PM
ericgordon123

if i took a video of it would you guys be able to kinda pinpoint what you think it would be? i cant tell which belt it is and im hesitant about taking it to a shop and its not the AC either.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Line7
Platinum Member

If you arent experienced checking tension in the belt, you should get a belt tension gauge, or whatever you call it. They squeel because they arent tight enough, or because they are old. I dont think a video will really help.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:12 PM
ericgordon123

update:

so i parked my car in the garage overnight, let it completely dry out in warm garage.. then started it up and let it warm up for about 15-20 minutes and the squealing went away and my cars fine now..

thanks for the input guys
Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 AM
cruzalekz

spray wd40 on the belt one at a time. if the noise disappears, then thats the culprit.
dont spray a lot though.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:01 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

you don't use wd-40 on the belts. Smack smack. It's a good way to make the belts deteriorate quicker. When wd-40 dries it leaves a film on the belts causing it to attract MORE dust and dirt which will cause them to wear quicker AND causes accelerated drying of the belts making them more brittle.

You can use Belt Dressing spray. I have a bottle of it from Pep Boys.