Notices

Defrosting...

Old 12-02-2002, 09:49 PM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defrosting...

Anyone with a 5th gen having problems with defrosting their windows? It seems as if my vents are clogged because it takes forever before it start to defrost the windshield. And it doesn't even do anything for the side windows... :angry:

Is there anyway I can at least alleviate the windshield problem. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :thumbup:
Old 12-02-2002, 10:06 PM
umop-apisdn
Allergic to vitamin D

How long we talkin' here? Ya gotta wait till the coolant heats up and circulate through the heater core, then through the vents.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:11 PM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Let's just say that I'm driving and it's cold out and I have all the windows closed. The windows start to fog up. If I use the heater and put it on the windshield defroster it takes a long time (if ever) before it starts defrosting. It's worst when it rains because I can't open the window to speed up the process...
Old 12-02-2002, 10:24 PM
umop-apisdn
Allergic to vitamin D

Are you defrosting the outside of the windshield or defogging the inside? If you're defrosting the outside, go out early and start her up. Crank the heat all the way up and put the vents on the windshield, recirculate the air for quicker defrosting. If you are combatting the windows from fogging from the inside, heat isn't the way to go. The reason they are fogging is because of the difference between the inside and outside temperatures. The windows will fog up just like a glass full of your favorite frosty beverage does on a hot day. Equalizing the temps between the inside and outside and gradually raising will guarantee the windows won't fog up. Get a set of side glass deflectors for when it rains. Does this help?
Old 12-02-2002, 10:52 PM
Ochdx

make sure you have the AC button on for defrosting, it takes moisture out of the air.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:28 PM
asiandoood
sancho on the sizzide!

deflectors :thumbup:

but before i got them...i usually blast the fan on 4 with heat all the way up. it takes about 3-5 minutes of waiting before the fog starts to give way when my car is cold.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:59 AM
Tony96EX

How do cars without a/c defrost?
Old 12-03-2002, 05:52 AM
1999civicEX
9" member

The reason the windshield is fogging is because the the temperature on the outside is different on the inside... like your breathe makes the windows fogging. Defrost with AC.

if you don't have AC....hm... maybe just run air, with no heat.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:05 AM
randomtask77
Wanderer

Originally posted by asiandoood
deflectors :thumbup:

but before i got them...i usually blast the fan on 4 with heat all the way up. it takes about 3-5 minutes of waiting before the fog starts to give way when my car is cold.
Thanks for the help doood on the visors. :thumbup:

Well, it just sucks becuase it seems no matter what I do (especially when it rains) I can't seem to defrost the windows (except the back...). I initially have it on the cool side (I don't have AC) already cooling the windshield, but sometimes that isn't enough. So I reverse it and use the heat but it takes forever...
Old 12-03-2002, 07:10 AM
Tirod

the fastest way to defrost is with your a/c... set up to hot, full blow, a/c, and point the side vents towards the windows.. the a/c defrosts alot faster then just plain vent...