Notices

How safe is driving in D3 with a Honda?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Yam Fam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How safe is driving in D3 with a Honda?

My car has a catback and a header with a D16Z6 motor. When I'm in D4, the car fells like it accels slower then in D3. The sound that comes out of the cat between the 2 is different. The sound pitch is a little higher in D3.

Picture it in your head for me:

D4 = Brrrrr

D3 = Brreee

It's sounds like I go into some kind of overdrive or something.

How safe is this? The motor is properly tuned. Everyone that knows anything about motors tell me I have a great engine and accels good or better than average. I have know idea about the engine internals because the car was given to me. The person that had it passed away a few years ago.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:22 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All you're doing is leaving it in 3rd gear instead of letting it go into 4th. The noise and power level are different because you're driving around at a higher rpm when the car is supposed to be in 4th. This is dumb and I'm sure it's killing your mileage too.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
All you're doing is leaving it in 3rd gear instead of letting it go into 4th. The noise and power level are different because you're driving around at a higher rpm when the car is supposed to be in 4th. This is dumb and I'm sure it's killing your mileage too.
yup
Old 08-26-2008, 05:21 AM
Yam Fam

Thanks for the tip. This only went on for one day during a trip to the store. It even felt dumb when I did it.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:02 PM
IanB
MB4

When you are driving around in the city (70km/h and less), there's really no need for you to be in 4th. By leaving the gear selector in 3rd, there is one less gear to downshift when you need to GO, I do it all the time in my wife's automatic car, it makes a big difference if you're already rolling and want to accelerate. If you're driving at a constant speed and not in stop and go traffic, there's really no need to lock it in 3rd. It also will make no difference from a dead stop, only in situations where you are in 4th and need to get into 2nd quicker.

Alternatively, if I'm in 4th and anticipate needing to speed up, I'll slip it in 3rd before I start my pass. It's not going to hurt anything.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:27 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by IanB
When you are driving around in the city (70km/h and less), there's really no need for you to be in 4th. By leaving the gear selector in 3rd, there is one less gear to downshift when you need to GO, I do it all the time in my wife's automatic car, it makes a big difference if you're already rolling and want to accelerate. If you're driving at a constant speed and not in stop and go traffic, there's really no need to lock it in 3rd. It also will make no difference from a dead stop, only in situations where you are in 4th and need to get into 2nd quicker.

Alternatively, if I'm in 4th and anticipate needing to speed up, I'll slip it in 3rd before I start my pass. It's not going to hurt anything.
1st off it's bad for your tranny especially an automatic to be driving around in too high rpms.

2nd it's bad for your gas mileage.

If you want to want to pick what gear you want to be in sell your automatic and learn to drive stick. Don't be stupid thinking you are cool by driving the way you are cause it makes you look even more dumb.

I find it funny when people drive all pimp with their huge N1 exhaust, cold air intakes, body kits, 18" wheels, slammed suspension, thumping stereo and they pull away in their automatics.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Chefboiali
scrotal surge

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
1st off it's bad for your tranny especially an automatic to be driving around in too high rpms.

2nd it's bad for your gas mileage.

If you want to want to pick what gear you want to be in sell your automatic and learn to drive stick. Don't be stupid thinking you are cool by driving the way you are cause it makes you look even more dumb.

I find it funny when people drive all pimp with their huge N1 exhaust, cold air intakes, body kits, 18" wheels, slammed suspension, thumping stereo and they pull away in their automatics.
Agreed. I drive a 92 Si, and I get into 5th gear as soon as I can. I actually rarely go over 3k. We all know how fast that tranny winds.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:43 PM
tigerafro
95 Civic EX

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer

leave automatics alone. lol.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:46 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's fine if you have an automatic. Just don't pretend it's a manual and nobody will make fun of you.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 PM
tigerafro
95 Civic EX

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
It's fine if you have an automatic. Just don't pretend it's a manual and nobody will make fun of you.
i don't pretend. i can shift my auto like a manual.....

but in all seriousness,

that would be retarded. mine shifts like an manual sometimes tho. rough. its getting old , i mean the transmission. maybe its time for a swap.