Notices

Cant find freon leak?? (100 in vegas)

Old 06-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Luv2reV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant find freon leak?? (100 in vegas)

My mech filled it twice (the AC) & used a sniffer and it does not find anything. Although the top hose is showing a little grease sticking to it. Maybe while I am driving & theres a load on it, thats when it leaks but not at idle? Any ideas? Thanks...
Old 06-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the sniffer in the vents with the fan on maybe the evaporator is leaking. Look for frost on the lines this indicates a clog in the line.

Every time he fills it its low? Or is the tech over charging the system?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:26 PM
Luv2reV

When he fills it its says there one pound in there, so he adds one. He said it could be the evaporator too but did not detect a leak there either, in the vents is a good idea though...
Ir runs out in about a week after filling it. I drive at least 20 miles a day with the ac on level 2 always (when it works).
Old 06-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil leak its a good place to start also look for rocks in the condenser.Some times the valve cores you use to charge the system leak.
Maybe his sniffer is old or bad some require a new filter. Usually thy will pick up the smallest leak.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Luv2reV

Originally Posted by Fuse
The oil leak its a good place to start also look for rocks in the condenser.Some times the valve cores you use to charge the system leak.
Maybe his sniffer is old or bad some require a new filter. Usually thy will pick up the smallest leak.
Its goes off when he puts it next to dead cans or his armpit, the sniffer works... I think the oil on the hose may be a sign too...
Old 06-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Civic2Scooby

fuck the sniffer, time for dye and a black light...that way you go drive it around and when it stops workin you go over the engine bay and evap with a black light...bang...leak found. Sounds like your mechanic is either a retard, or likes charging you to fill it each time.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:56 PM
Luv2reV

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
fuck the sniffer, time for dye and a black light...that way you go drive it around and when it stops workin you go over the engine bay and evap with a black light...bang...leak found. Sounds like your mechanic is either a retard, or likes charging you to fill it each time.
Thanks man, he does not charge me for refils so I guess hes a tard then...
Old 06-05-2007, 06:50 AM
Civic2Scooby

Originally Posted by Luv2reV
Thanks man, he does not charge me for refils so I guess hes a tard then...
haha....didn't mean to be so harsh about it, but dye is a pretty common thing to use if you need the customer to drive around to make the leak happen. As a matter of fact, all cars produced after 2003 (IIRC) have dye in them from the factory as per federal mandate.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:39 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by Civic2Scooby
Sound advice that. I've never had a mechanic not put dye in the A/C system when filling it.

If it was me though, and you could't find the leak, even with dye, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing stuff that is supposed to stop leaks if you add it when you do the fill (or it's two in one).
No idea if it works though, I just tend to take the cheapo and/or LeDouche route whenever possible
Old 06-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Luv2reV

Originally Posted by Ra005e
Sound advice that. I've never had a mechanic not put dye in the A/C system when filling it.

If it was me though, and you could't find the leak, even with dye, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing stuff that is supposed to stop leaks if you add it when you do the fill (or it's two in one).
No idea if it works though, I just tend to take the cheapo and/or LeDouche route whenever possible
Great advice guys, will post what happens next week ( when I have the cash to go back )
Saku