Notices

Where to get some bolts (to replace rusted ones)

Old 05-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Shogo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to get some bolts (to replace rusted ones)

Well my Civic is starting to show it's age. A quick tuneup revealed several rusty bolts under the hood and I was wondering where can I get replacement bolts? The bolts that are rusty seem to be all one standard size, the same as the bolts holding on the fuel filter. It's a 1999 civic. Can I just go into NAPA and ask for replacement bolts or what?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:13 PM
Civic2Scooby

depends on what the bolts are holding. Yes you can go to a hardware store to replace them, but make sure they are of the same grade as what you are replacing.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:05 PM
mini-me civic

ace is the place
Old 06-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Shogo

Originally Posted by mini-me civic
ace is the place
Thanks, I'll try ace. Are they specific car bolts or can I get any kind of bolt as long as it is the proper size?

Would Home Depot have them?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:32 AM
ari_one

The bolts have to be of the same strength, the markings are normally on the end of the bolt.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:49 PM
jerrylauj913

dont settle for less the oem honda parts. Go to Honda and buy them.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by jerrylauj913
dont settle for less the oem honda parts. Go to Honda and buy them.
while i would agree to this on most parts, but they're just bolts. as long as they're the same strength and size as the bolts being replaced i see no problems with getting them from a hardware store.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think on metric machine bolts some have a number on top for the strength so if it says 10 go with a new 10. If you get stainless steel bolts make shure you don't brake them off the next time you pull them off SS kills drills.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:56 PM
A-series
v-card member alpha

Originally Posted by Fuse
I think on metric machine bolts some have a number on top for the strength so if it says 10 go with a new 10. If you get stainless steel bolts make shure you don't brake them off the next time you pull them off SS kills drills.
I thought it was only aluminum bolts you had to look out for upon removal

Shows how much I know

On a semi-related note, anyone know wtf the yellow-ish/green-ish tinted bolts are made of?

edit: Almost forgot, I've replaced several bolts on mine. In the past I went to ace (I think), most recently went to carquest. So far, no probs.

Once after reattaching my neg. battery cable I realized the bolt was stripped (thanks Honda for cutting V notch in some bolts to make them go into painted threads easier)and so I got it in good as I could and drove to carquest. I didn't want to remove it in case they didn't have the right replacement, for fear the jacked bolt wouldn't take a 2nd tightening, all I told them was it was metric and fit a number 10 socket and they got me the right one. (purchased 2 diff. types just to be safe)

Some might be thinking, "but that bolt is the same as several others in the engine bay, why not use one of those to get a match or better yet, replace it w/ one of several relatively unimportant bolts?" I didnt realize this at the time h: plus was in a hurry

Last edited by A-series; 06-02-2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:08 AM
vietnamese_boi

get it at honda, better to go with exact fit and less hassle finding compatible ones