Thread: do cam gears make a big difference or not?

do cam gears make a big difference or not?

you guys have been answering my questions lately and i apreciate it...so0o...
    heres another for u guys.....do cam gears make a noticable difference????? Do i have to change my timing belt too???? what exactly happens wen u change them from stock to aftermarket?????
    thanx

well..... suposedly if you get an aftermarket cams it has higher lift which lets the valves stay open longer which makes more power..... and you dont need a new timing belt if you get one to the best of my knowledge..... cause otherwise that would suck..... but you might need to adjust the timing.... not sure... :0

Cam gears allow you to adjust your intake and exhaust cam timing independently......They are useless on a stock motor, but can be benifitial on a motor that has some head work done.....I wouldn't bother with them on stock cams...You also need to tune them on a dyno.
    5th gen civic coupe
    b16a turbo, 12.42 @118mph *sold*
    New project, 92 cx, Built b18c1 w/boost *for sale*
    2004 explorer xlt..

pointless on a mild motor. Worth time if you have a well built motor and a tuner who knows what they are doing
    1996 Civic DX coupe----SOLD
    1995 Civic DX hatch----JDM B16 ...RIP...
    1992 Civic si hatch, black, B18b1 swap, Si wheels, 50k original miles. -----SOLD-----

1989 CRX DX, project build my little sis her first car

1987 Suzuki Samurai----winter beater, G13k DOHC 16V MPFI swap.
    GTI powered

New project in progress, 93 white cx, 8pt cage, k24A2 w/X2M5 trans swap. Building the perfect track car

so is upgrading the cam good on a SOHC stock D16y8?
    It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile... winning is winning!
    http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/4...lwsfull9lv.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper Honda
    so is upgrading the cam good on a SOHC stock D16y8?
    NO
    Want noods of CuppyCake? Click here

so for his d16 changing his cams from stock to aftermarket.....it wouldn't help him and he wounldnt benifit AT ALL?????

Quote Originally Posted by njblacksol
    so for his d16 changing his cams from stock to aftermarket.....it wouldn't help him and he wounldnt benifit AT ALL?????

not on a stock motor, as he stated.

Stock meaning no intake manifold, port work, valvesprings, or ecu tuning.

Cams don't do shit without the proper supporting mods
    1992 Civic si hatch, black, B18b1 swap, Si wheels, 50k original miles. -----SOLD-----

GTI powered

New project in progress, 93 white cx, 8pt cage, k24A2 w/X2M5 trans swap. Building the perfect track car

so if I were starting right now....to build a sohc monster.... where would i start....like wat performance parts would u buy first????

I have a JDM B16 I/H/E and msd. I'm going to change my timing belt soon so I could just change my cam gears since its right there and set the settings to 0 and 0?
    Last edited by rampage918; 01-28-06 at 06:44 PM.

so if I were starting right now....to build a sohc monster.... where would i start....like wat performance parts would u buy first????
    what motor?

GTI powered

first performance part I would buy would be a B series.
    SPWC Member #00001
    Quote Originally Posted by Tark
    i would eat a donkey Vagina
    Quote Originally Posted by e3NiNe
    - while you're tagging her from behind ... eat a cheeseburger. Put extra onions on it and blow into her holes.

An Adjustable Cam Gear, won't do anything noticeable on an D16Y8 unless you have a stage 2 cam from Zex, Crower, Crane... with a higher power band so you can adjust the cam to a more useable range. You need to get more air+fuel in and more exhaust out just so the cam works, and there's some people who change cams and use them with the wrong valve springs. So something with an VAFC2 or EMS, with a good catback exhaust, header, intake, intake manifold and high compression valves would see good use of a cam gear on an SOHC. If your car is stock...the cam gear weighs less than the stock one, but you wouldn't see a difference in power.

You'll need to dyno tune this to put some power to the ground.
    Last edited by InfiniteVTec; 01-28-06 at 06:47 PM.

on a DOHC engine you expect bigger gains as you can adjust intake and exhaust seperately, but you need more caution or you'll strike valves with pistons and other issues.

on my turbo b18c i saw a 7hp gain to the wheels with the camgears correctly adjusted. so you can expect to see alot less than that.
    Teacher..... What would I get if I were to add HX + B18C + turbo? Why I think its 270hp and 201tq.
    http://repo.jackmoves.com/view...bum53

Stuff for sale. GSR stuff, Civic stuff, Turbo stuff, Miscelaneous.
    http://repo.jackmoves.com/album124

sell/buy vouch list (oscar_425, egjoe, slpycd7,...)

what is the point with a cam gear on a single cam motor. you can just adjust your distrubutor. sure you get more adjustment method out of an adjustable cam gear but have you ever tried turning your dizzy? to much and it feels slow...to much the opposite way and it knocks. so what is the point of going further then factory settings allow since the motor doesnt like either advanced or retard in great amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by waaBAAH
    what is the point with a cam gear on a single cam motor. you can just adjust your distrubutor. sure you get more adjustment method out of an adjustable cam gear but have you ever tried turning your dizzy? to much and it feels slow...to much the opposite way and it knocks. so what is the point of going further then factory settings allow since the motor doesnt like either advanced or retard in great amounts.

you sir have ignition timing and mechanical timing mixed up. YOu think they are one and the same. They are not

GTI powered

you are right.....thanks for clearing that up....now put in your k20!!!! stop searching forums and do some work. just kidding

you are right.....thanks for clearing that up....now put in your k20!!!! stop searching forums and do some work. just kidding
    haha I'm working on it. Waiting for those damn tax returns. filed them this week

just for future searchers who read this thread.

mechanical timing, the type adjusted with cam gears, is the timing of the valves opening in relation to when the piston is at top dead center.

Ignition timing, the type adjusted with the distributor, is the timing of the spark in relation to when the piston is at top dead center.

SO when you set your ignition timing at 16 degrees, you are making the spark light when the crankshaft is 16 degrees from pushing the piston in the number one cylinder to top dead center.

Mechanical= valves

Ignition = sparks
    Last edited by bambbrose; 01-31-06 at 02:44 AM.

GTI powered

Cam Gears make a big difference... a 2 degree adjustment which is 1 mark on the AEM cam gear, net me 15-17ft/lbs torque gains from 2-4,500rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteVTec
    Cam Gears make a big difference... a 2 degree adjustment which is 1 mark on the AEM cam gear, net me 15-17ft/lbs torque gains from 2-4,500rpm.
    boosted correct?

GTI powered

yes...but what other mods do you have done? on a stock motor (even i/h/e) i doubt you could gain 15 hp.

i thought you said you didn't go dyno tuning yet.
    D16Y8
    Injen CAI-EVO2 Cat Back-B&M Short Shifter-NGK Platinum Plugs-Test Pipe-Megan Racing 4-2-1 Header and Downpipe-Exedy Stage 1 Clutch-Fidanza 7lb Flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone
    u + me = us
    Quote Originally Posted by AF
    Yes, because I'm a gay pilot. Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by bambbrose
    boosted correct?
    n/a actually... but i'm speaking of ranges below the 4,000rpm... cam gears really effect torque more so than hp in my experience on the dyno when adjusted... however i never retarded the cam gear only advances.

yes...but what other mods do you have done? on a stock motor (even i/h/e) i doubt you could gain 15 hp.
    Zex Stage 2 Cam, valve springs n retainers, Skunk2 IM, 4-2-1 DC Sports Header, Fireball Cat-back exhaust, and AEM CAI

Quote Originally Posted by 97civicEXVTEC
    i thought you said you didn't go dyno tuning yet.
    Monday 1/30/06... my 1st dyno session.

Zex Stage 2 Cam, valve springs n retainers, Skunk2 IM, 4-2-1 DC Sports Header, Fireball Cat-back exhaust, and AEM CAI
    so it is diffrent for you....you have mods done but on a bone stock
    (even i/h/e) i doubt you would get that high of numbers from a cam gear...your cam really helped those numbers i think

so it is diffrent for you....you have mods done but on a bone stock
    (even i/h/e) i doubt you would get that high of numbers from a cam gear...your cam really helped those numbers i think
    on a stock cam, i think you could pull a lil bit more torque on the low end, but nowhere near the #'s I pulled.

on an SOHC, cam gears should be used with a upgraded camshaft. on DOHC cam gears would work with stock cams, but you won't gain much unless you're going with new cams.

I'm going to try visiting the shop to see if i can take pics of the various runs I did with different cam gear adjustments, just for referrence to this question.
    Last edited by InfiniteVTec; 02-01-06 at 12:17 AM.

Honda-Acura
    Honda S2000

Honda-Acura