Notices

what is needed to install a short shifter?

Old 04-30-2005, 07:29 AM
Hon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is needed to install a short shifter?

hey guys. just got a short shifter the other day. im going to install it shortly, but im not exactly sure how... i have a 92 civic hatch si. yesterday i disassembled the center console, so i can see the top side of it, however i didnt thnk it could be done from the top. so do i have to go from the bottom? or was i right the first time, from the top? another thing, am i going to have to replace bushings, bolts? or will the stock ones fit on the new shifter? i read someone talking (on this site) about polyether...somthing bushings for the shifter i think, did i hear that right? thanks.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:00 PM
swaggs21

Search owns you.

You do it from the bottom, new bolts should be sent with the short shifter, and the bushings you are referrring to are polyurethane bushings, and yes for shifter feel and smoothness, they are worth the $10
Old 04-30-2005, 12:12 PM
JoshJ
bang bang.

you can buy some Energy Suspension shifter bushings from JEGs for $11.99. When i installed my short shifter, it was basically just take out old shifter and bushings and replace with new shifter and bushings. very easy, and yes, install from the bottom.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:13 PM
Ziken
RACE USE ONLY

I would suggest getting someone to help you, because the bolts that hold up the shifter are a little tricky and you will need that extra person to hold the bolt on top while you unscrew it from underneath your car.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:29 PM
meunit910

Originally Posted by swaggs21
Search owns you.

You do it from the bottom, new bolts should be sent with the short shifter, and the bushings you are referrring to are polyurethane bushings, and yes for shifter feel and smoothness, they are worth the $10
I dunno but for my 98 civic ex i didn't use any bushing. But THe shifter grind against my resonator/exhaust pipe for about 2 weeks until i removed the resonator and had 2 1/2 inch custom piping out on. And now my shifter is a smooth as a babies but. 1 to second..CHIRP.. 2 to third...little chirp.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:40 PM
swaggs21

Originally Posted by meunit910
I dunno but for my 98 civic ex i didn't use any bushing. But THe shifter grind against my resonator/exhaust pipe for about 2 weeks until i removed the resonator and had 2 1/2 inch custom piping out on. And now my shifter is a smooth as a babies but. 1 to second..CHIRP.. 2 to third...little chirp.

It actually does have bushings, they are black, rubber type.

The biggest thing that I found without the bushings is that the SS starts to rattle some, with them, it was perfect.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:44 PM
meunit910

Originally Posted by swaggs21
It actually does have bushings, they are black, rubber type.

The biggest thing that I found without the bushings is that the SS starts to rattle some, with them, it was perfect.
You know what..your right. But i didn't have to buy bushings. I just kept the same ones on there. ANd he is right about having someone else help you. I did it by myself and it was very frustrating. I disconnected the whole shift linkage and took out from up under the car and then chaned the shifter. It was hard as hell to get it back in though because like i said the muffler would get in the way. I got the short shifter from a friend who had a 99 civic si and said it didn't fit in his.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:16 PM
EGteknikhatch
Team Teknik

you have to have someone else on top holding on those crappy bolts with no heads.. its really straightforward.. ive done 4 and never had to take off the exhaust.. So I wouldn't worry abou that... all you need to do is undo the shift linkage.. and then the bolts on top.. i think thats it but im not quite sure its been about a year since i did one.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:16 AM
96silvhb

I've done it to my car by myself. Just use a locking-jaw pliers to hold the top of those shitty bolts and loosen the nuts from underneath.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:02 AM
Mr_Goodbar

ya about those stupid bolts with no heads? is there access to those from the top so someone can push down real hard on them to unscrew?