Notices

SOHC vtec head/cam question

Old 04-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Kabooki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC vtec head/cam question

Through my research on the web I have concluded that my D15z1 on my 4dr must have a performance cam. That is the only reason I can think of that d15z1 vtec would pull so much harder than my d16z6. I am guessing the cam that was installed has a much more agressive vtec lobe. So my question is. How hard would it be to swap cams in my d15z1 and d16z6? Would it be easier to just swap the whole head? Would I be loosing performance in any way? (curious If my gas mileage would go down on my d15z1 if it had a d16z6 head)
Old 04-25-2005, 01:38 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Originally Posted by Kabooki
Through my research on the web I have concluded that my D15z1 on my 4dr must have a performance cam. That is the only reason I can think of that d15z1 vtec would pull so much harder than my d16z6. I am guessing the cam that was installed has a much more agressive vtec lobe. So my question is. How hard would it be to swap cams in my d15z1 and d16z6? Would it be easier to just swap the whole head? Would I be loosing performance in any way? (curious If my gas mileage would go down on my d15z1 if it had a d16z6 head)

well, in theory, if the cam is alot more aggressive, letting more air for more duration and causing a shift in powerband, then yes, it'll most likely effect your gas mileage.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Kabooki

Originally Posted by alphaxxn
well, in theory, if the cam is alot more aggressive, letting more air for more duration and causing a shift in powerband, then yes, it'll most likely effect your gas mileage.
Are the heads pretty much interchangeable since they are both SOHC vtec heads? Im wondering if the d15 might have like smaller valves (which would be a loss of performance over my d16 head) Basically, I would like my d15 as fuel efficent and my d16 power/fast. But i guess im asking if the head is basically the same w/ the same flow. I would rather just swap the head so i wouldnt have to mess with valve springs and such.

This make any sense?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

D15Z1 engines don't have a "VTEC" lobe at all. At the VTEC-E crossover, the second exhaust valve is locked in to function both exhaust valves instead of just one. After the crossover, it is similar performance-wise to a DX head.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Kabooki

Originally Posted by Kai
D15Z1 engines don't have a "VTEC" lobe at all. At the VTEC-E crossover, the second exhaust valve is locked in to function both exhaust valves instead of just one. After the crossover, it is similar performance-wise to a DX head.

Well great. now im back to square one....

Ok, as far as I can tell the d15z1 is stock. But it jumps when it hits vtec. No other car I have been in does that @ vtec crossover. Clueless why now.