Notices

Brake Upgrade?

Old 04-22-2005, 07:13 PM
racerdave
USAF C-17 Crewchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Upgrade?

I have a 94 EX, it has front and rear disks, I just lowered my car about 2" and got some TSW blades, and now I can really see how rusty and ugly my brake calipers are. So can anyone recomend a decent setup for me?

I dont want to spend a ton of $ I just want somthing that looks nice, and performs a little better than stock.

Also I was thinking:

If I get all new setup in the front (drilled/sloted rotors, and new calipers)

Is there a Honda/Acura that I can get larger (stock) calipers and rotors off of that will bolt on my rear?

Does that make any sence?
Old 04-22-2005, 07:32 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by racerdave
I have a 94 EX, it has front and rear disks, I just lowered my car about 2" and got some TSW blades, and now I can really see how rusty and ugly my brake calipers are. So can anyone recomend a decent setup for me?

I dont want to spend a ton of $ I just want somthing that looks nice, and performs a little better than stock.

Also I was thinking:

If I get all new setup in the front (drilled/sloted rotors, and new calipers)

Is there a Honda/Acura that I can get larger (stock) calipers and rotors off of that will bolt on my rear?

Does that make any sence?
You don't need anything more that what you have if you aren't road racing it. The stock brake system works just fine for drag and street driving. The only area that you should upgrade on a street driven car is the pads.

Cross drilled rotors are completely unnecessary since your brakes don't get hot enough to need the holes while street driving. If you want new rotors, pick up a pair of Brembo OEM rotors. I have a set and they are great.

I painted my calipers since mine were rusted to shit and looked horrible when I had rims. I bought some of the spray that turns rust into black primer from my local autoparts store. The black looks really clean and it hasn't worn off at all. It also prevents further rust.

If you want to save your money, here is the chance. There are some many better things to buy besides unnecessary brake components. Do it cheap like I did.

That is just my $.02 to save you some money because bigger rotors or cross drilled rotors on a street car is for completely aesthetic purposes.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:57 PM
SmartySarty

you could buy Integra GS-R, lower/jupper controll amrs, spindle rotors and calipers............... so you beefened up your suspension and bigger brakes........................ get all that shit from a junk yard then and everything should just bolt up............... sand down the controll arms and spindle and spray those too with sum rustiolium spray paint, spray your calipers like a flat black so they dont rust and shit, flat black looks clean on calipers. you could prob get everything for around 500$.............. ohh also pick up a set of axis brakepads they work great, then eventually you could ether get sum crossdrilled or powerslot rotors to throw on there
Old 04-23-2005, 06:21 AM
PDiggityDogg
Meanwhile, up in The D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^No......
He already has ex knuckles, which are the same as integra. Besides, all integras have the SAME brakes...gsr's are NOT special. They may look different from the ls/gs but the piston size and the pad are identical. AND crossdrilled rotors are just plain stupid - they cost too much, they dont do that much really, and they chew up the pads quickly.

If anything, you can follow what I did:
Integra front calipers, ITR 1" brake master cylinder/booster, stainless steel lines, brembo blanks, axxis pads.
I stop very nicely, better than I did previously with the ex/si parts, and have very nice pedal feel.
Total cost, I want to say, was right around $300.

If you want to redrill 11" rotors, from the itr, to 4x100 you can bolt up even nsx/legend calipers to your current knuckles. That is the biggest oem you can go.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:05 AM
AliasNeo

wtf lol, ur car came stock with front and rear disks? mine only has front disks and i got a 96 ex
Old 04-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by AliasNeo
wtf lol, ur car came stock with front and rear disks? mine only has front disks and i got a 96 ex
4wheel disks came on abs equipped civics
Old 04-23-2005, 11:17 AM
PDiggityDogg
Meanwhile, up in The D

Doh, I missed that note
Integra calipers are the same as whats already on there. The only upgrade would be itr or nsx/legend/accord wagon
Old 04-23-2005, 06:36 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Everyone who tells you that stainless steel lines help you stop faster are blowing smoke up your ass.

Get some better pads and get a pair of Brembo OEM rotors. Then sand and paint the calipers to get rid of the ugly rust.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:24 PM
PDiggityDogg
Meanwhile, up in The D

Stainless lines add to pedal feel, thats it. The same could be said for changing to a larger mc/bb
Old 04-23-2005, 07:26 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by PDiggityDogg
Stainless lines add to pedal feel, thats it. The same could be said for changing to a larger mc/bb
Pedal feel doesn't make you stop faster though. h: