Notices

help with wiring LED s to a toggle switch

Old 04-22-2005, 03:14 PM
95civiclx
HMT b7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with wiring LED s to a toggle switch

The following is for a 1995 honda civic lx sedan:

I was trying to wire some LEDs behind my gauges so they will glow amber. I bought a toggle switch and some 18 gauge wire. I cut the wire from the cigarette lighter (it was white with a blue line) and spliced in one red 18 gauge wire, and soldered the connection. Then i soldered the other end of the red wire, to the first connection on the toggle switch. Then i ran another 18 gauge wire from the 2nd connection on the toggle switch. I havent received the LEDs in the mail yat, i was just trying to wire everything else first. I checked the circuit with a circuit tester (just a red wire, a black wire, and a red LED) but it didnt light up. I tapped the open red 18 gauge wire from the 2nd connection of the toggle switch to the chassis, and it sparked, and the 15 a fuse for the cigarrette lighter blew. On the package for the toggle switch it labeled both connections as + (positive). Will my circuit work once i bring the 2nd red wire to the LEDs and ground the LEDs? or do i have to connect the LED wire to the first connection on the toggle switch, and ground the switch and the LED's?

Thanks for your help.

(just so you know, i also replaced the fuse, and the cigarette lighter still works, so nothing is damaged)
Old 04-22-2005, 07:06 PM
fac90

Before you do anything, you must buy a haynes manual or a similair one to examine the wiring of the cigartte lighter. The cigatette lighter itself runs off the cigaratte lighter relay.

Once you see all the wiring, then tap onto the correct wires.

What year is the car?
Old 04-23-2005, 05:33 AM
95civiclx
HMT b7

its a 1995, i havent bought the manual yet, but i will soon. i already have power coming from the cigarette lighter socket, as well as to the switch. so i have that wire right.

i just need to know :

do i need to ground the switch?
or do i just connect the led to the 2nd connection on the switch, and ground the LEDs?

thanks
Old 04-24-2005, 11:36 AM
fac90

Are these 12V leds with an integrated resistor? If not, you will need to add a series resistor on each led to limit the current.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:52 AM
fac90

If you have power coming to one side of the switch, connect the + led wire to the other side of ther switch and ground the - led wire.

Your circuit should look like this (If I understood it correctly):

1 2 1 2
+12V (cigaratte lighter wire tap)------------[ switch ]-------[LED Assembly]-----GND

How are you grounding it?

The reason the 15A fuse blew because a direct short to ground happened. You should get voltage meter from radio shack. Test lights dont tell the actual voltage. I am suspecting the leds are not 12V, but radio shack sells 12V leds.

Get the manual, it will show all the wiring.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:11 PM
jasoncitrano
Banned

LOL this should not be that hard at all... you can put the switch to control the power or the ground side of your circuit it really doesn't matter.

12v source-------switch-------resistors if needed------12v+ side of LED's

Ground side of LED---------ground easy as that
Old 04-26-2005, 07:05 PM
fac90

Thinking about your project, I have done a similar one. Most Honda factory stereos have backlighting illumination when the headlights are turned on. This wire is the Red/Black lead on the Accords (maybe the same for you). Too make a long story short, when I installed my aftermarket stereo, this lead was not used. I connected this lead to an led (with a series resistor), but a 12V led will work because of the internal resistor and grounded it.

The basic purpose was to add some blue backlighing to the aftermarket stereo installation pocket.

But, I had to be 100% sure that this will cause any electrical problems, so I verified it by examing the manual for 90-93 Accords. No problems, but I added an in line fuse in case if some short circuit.

Your project should include an inline fuse. The fuse and fuseholder can be bought at radio shack for about $3. Since you are using LEDs which are low current, 0.5A fuse will work (AGC type or automotive glass type) with the 1 X 1 1/4 fuse holder. You can also use 1A ATO fuse and the ATO inline fuse holder from Autozone.

Remember, you dont want to be in traffic and your car stalling from some electrical overload, adding some circuit protection to your wiring wont hurt.