Notices

Turbo Kit is complete.... Now final step

Old 04-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Kabooki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Kit is complete.... Now final step

I think I now have all the parts covered. Now its really time to figure out my Fuel management setup.

I am toying with the idea of using UBERDATA (think thats the free one) Is hondata also free?

I found a seller on ebay that will program the chip for free. I would also like to do datalogging. Will the connections for the data logging be the same if im using Hondata or Uberdata? Anyone know the wire schematic that goes from ECU to 9pin serial?

This guy is selling the chip kits for $16 + $4 shipping. And he will program it free.
So am I getting away with a $20 FM setup? Im thinkin this cheap will give me problems. But do i have all the ends covered just doing a pre programmed chipping kit?
Old 04-21-2005, 05:26 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Uberdata is free, however hondata is not... also look at neptune @ www.neptune.evans-tuning.com

to chip an ECU you need a p28 or p72 obd 1 ecu to chip.
neptune can run even with non vtec p06 ecus!
the ebay shit you're talking about is pretty much a ROM chipped with some programming on it... basically a 50 cent part with code just copied onto it.
get yourself a chipping kit from www.moates.net and chip it yourself easily
Old 04-21-2005, 05:26 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

also keep in mind the guy on ebay is selling a certain map...
you need a boosted map and i highly suggest getting it tuned...
where are you located?
Old 04-21-2005, 05:32 AM
Kabooki

austin, tx

To get it tuned runs about $250 right?

Once i get the the chip programmed, is it programmed for boost in general or does it have to be reburned everytime i change the PSI?

if you have seen the kits that guy has on ebay, will they work? (as far as the kit hardware) Im guessing i have a p78 for my 93 del sol si. But what does that mean? Theres obd1 obd0 etc.... then p something.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:42 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

Originally Posted by Kabooki
austin, tx

To get it tuned runs about $250 right?

Once i get the the chip programmed, is it programmed for boost in general or does it have to be reburned everytime i change the PSI?

if you have seen the kits that guy has on ebay, will they work? (as far as the kit hardware) Im guessing i have a p78 for my 93 del sol si. But what does that mean? Theres obd1 obd0 etc.... then p something.
you've got alot to learn my friend
tune can depend highly on what they charge and how long it takes...
the place i went to charged a flat rate of $400 for the whole day...

when the tuner tunes your car, they can modify the ignition and fuel tables allowing more fuel and change timing based usually on rpm and vacuum/boost levels.

so basically, the programming takes in every consideration when you drive.
now i'm not sure about del sols... but what is in the si model? DOHC or sohc? I've never heard of a p78, just p28 or p72... in which case both can be chipped

Here is a local tuner, and he can tune neptune on an obd1 ecu
Name: Jason Herrera
AKA: st00pid
Shop: Autologic
Phone: (713) 292-7298
Old 04-21-2005, 06:18 AM
Kabooki

Originally Posted by igo4bmx
you've got alot to learn my friend
tune can depend highly on what they charge and how long it takes...
the place i went to charged a flat rate of $400 for the whole day...

when the tuner tunes your car, they can modify the ignition and fuel tables allowing more fuel and change timing based usually on rpm and vacuum/boost levels.

so basically, the programming takes in every consideration when you drive.
now i'm not sure about del sols... but what is in the si model? DOHC or sohc? I've never heard of a p78, just p28 or p72... in which case both can be chipped

Here is a local tuner, and he can tune neptune on an obd1 ecu
Name: Jason Herrera
AKA: st00pid
Shop: Autologic
Phone: (713) 292-7298
First off, Im TOTALLY A NOOB

i dont plan on racing at all, just having some fun driving fast from time to time. I really am trying to do this cheap (i know everyone wants to say theres no such thing) but to me $400 = High performance, all i need is $? = Just works reliable.

I have seen a few turbo civics around here, I really wonder if they put half this effort into their setup. I understand I can just slap the turbo kit on, witout adjusting fuel and it will "work" but I also know that would damage the engine and shorten its life. I would just like to adjust the fuel to handle the 4-5 psi that I plan to give it.

Thanx for the info, thats gonna be my backup plan.

So would the preprogrammed chip with a boost map work in general to prevent damage to my engine? I would also like to hook up my laptop to the ecu for "datalogging" this kit comes with the connector, I just need to make the wire.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:26 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

First off, Im TOTALLY A NOOB

i dont plan on racing at all, just having some fun driving fast from time to time. I really am trying to do this cheap (i know everyone wants to say theres no such thing) but to me $400 = High performance, all i need is $? = Just works reliable.

I have seen a few turbo civics around here, I really wonder if they put half this effort into their setup. I understand I can just slap the turbo kit on, witout adjusting fuel and it will "work" but I also know that would damage the engine and shorten its life. I would just like to adjust the fuel to handle the 4-5 psi that I plan to give it.

Thanx for the info, thats gonna be my backup plan.

So would the preprogrammed chip with a boost map work in general to prevent damage to my engine? I would also like to hook up my laptop to the ecu for "datalogging" this kit comes with the connector, I just need to make the wire.
i can tell you're a noob - but everyone starts somewhere
well for the budget friendly tune. go with uberdata...
you still need to chip your ecu to allow programming.

here is a "how to" on chipping your ecu
http://www.moates.net/documentation....entation_id=17

and here is the chipping kit you need
http://www.moates.net/product_info.p...products_id=42

after you're done that, you can either
1- runa a "basemap" (aka a map someone else uses that may be similiar to yours)
2- get it tuned...
and to save the basemap to your rom chip, you need a burner.. (around 80 bucks)
i have one and i can burn you something if you want
Old 04-21-2005, 06:59 AM
Kabooki

koolness! What other settings would a basemap need to change other than Air/Fuel?

I have raced a few times, but have not takken it to redline, I usually shift around 6800 rpm even when racing. Could I take off the speed limiter with this chip setup?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:12 AM
igo4bmx
CockBlockerator

koolness! What other settings would a basemap need to change other than Air/Fuel?

I have raced a few times, but have not takken it to redline, I usually shift around 6800 rpm even when racing. Could I take off the speed limiter with this chip setup?
depends what fuel management you use.

download uberdata here:
http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/

and you can see all the features you can change
shift light cel one cool feature i like and most have it now
Old 04-21-2005, 09:55 PM
Kabooki

Originally Posted by igo4bmx
depends what fuel management you use.

download uberdata here:
http://www.ecimulti.org/uberdata/

and you can see all the features you can change
shift light cel one cool feature i like and most have it now

uberdata downloads are dead. SQL server is messed up

Question:
If I chip my ecu (just solder in the stuff) and dont put the eprom in or leave it blank, will that disable the car? or does the ecu only use the code in the eprom if there is data on it?