Notices

Grinding Sounds in Reverse?

Old 04-19-2005, 04:54 PM
chris123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding Sounds in Reverse?

I just bought a 93 dx hatchback in the winter and had to replace the axles b/c the cv joints were gone, but now when I turn in reverse it makes a metallic grinding noise. Except it doesn't do it all the time, and it isn't necessarily when its cold, it has done it after i've driven for at least half and hour! Could it be power steering noise or tranny noise (5 speed)? i'm new to civics and haven't much experience w/ them, so any ideas would help a lot! thanks.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:55 PM
95civicex4dr
JHMEH9

Synchrodes in your tranny most likely, your lucky mine does it in 1st, 3rd, and reverse(sometimes)...oh yea it does it when i accelerate in 1st to...

classic honda tranny noise
Old 04-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Kestrel
Push to shock!

Originally Posted by 95civicex4dr
Synchrodes in your tranny most likely, your lucky mine does it in 1st, 3rd, and reverse(sometimes)...oh yea it does it when i accelerate in 1st to...

classic honda tranny noise
Reverse doesn't have synchros.

If the sound is coming from the transmission, I would try changing tranny fluid first and see if there's any improvement.
Old 04-19-2005, 11:52 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

If its not a clunking/crashing/grinding sound then maybe the sound you hearing is because reverse is a straightcut gear as opposed to a helixical cut gear, and its making a whirl.

In the cold sometimes my reverse doesnt like to go all the way in, and then itll grind.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:06 AM
chris123

Thanks for the ideas! I've gotta do an oil change soon so I'll get the tranny fluid done too, and see what happens from there. Mine grinds and goes hard going into reverse too when its cold, putting it into another gear before going to reverse usually helps that though.