Notices

relocating ur stereo in a 99 civic?

Old 02-11-2005, 04:11 AM
goon54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default relocating ur stereo in a 99 civic?

i've seen it done b4 where the radio is relocated to the bottom of the dashboard console by the cup holders. anyone has any idea how to? like do i need to fabricate some brackets to mount it? basically the dude that stole my radio really messed up the mounts and i cant really bend them back to the correct position to install another at that location any help is appreciated
Old 02-11-2005, 04:51 AM
varyda
...::..:.::....::::..

Not sure bout the 99-00, but my 97 had a little cd holder spot right above the cup holders that basically popped out when you put a hand behind it and push toward your gearshift.

Then I pulled out the cup holders, metal support that was back there, threw the cd player in there and screwed the side of the cd player into the metal brackets.

I'll have to see if I have any pics for ya when I go home, but thats the best way I can explain it, sorry
Old 02-11-2005, 04:59 AM
goon54

im guessing that slot is above the cupholder should be an ok fit for any single din radios right? unfortunately for the 99-00, there's no cd holder spot so im guessing i might need to make a bracket so i can screw the radio in place?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:00 AM
varyda
...::..:.::....::::..

Yeah the radio was a single din unit.

What do you mean theres not a place to hold cds above the cup holders?

What is that space used for then? Do you have a pic of it?
Old 02-11-2005, 05:05 AM
goon54

my bad.. i misinterpret cd holder as the actually place to hold a cd player..
friday am dude, brain is going to sleep mode....
but yeah, there is that spot that HOLDS cds.. but it is a little larger than a single din radio...anyone else have like pics or how to on this?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:15 AM
swaggs21

I am thinking about doing this myself, so I can have all the important stuff (boost controller, egt) up where my head unit is now.

For my boost controller and turbo timer I made my own housing out of wood, then covered it with black vinyl. Thinking about doing sort of the same thing with the head unit, but welding a cage for it to sit in, and then fabricating something to hide the rest of the hole....
Old 02-11-2005, 08:46 AM
goon54

not a bad idea swaggs.. since most radios have a remote now.. im just hoping it doesnt require to much fabricating.. and like if ur in 3rd. u dont have a problem sliding a cd into the unit. and there any brackets inside that slot behind the cupholder?
Old 02-11-2005, 08:53 AM
swaggs21

you most likely wont be able to get a CD in if you are in 1st or 3rd, but most of the time you are not in those gears, so is it really that big of a concern, probably not.

And if you are in first or third, you should be paying attention to the road, not what CD is in.

I am going to cut all that plastic out and weld a bracket in from the frame used around the originial position.

Here is a pic of what I did with my boost controller, and I dont really think it will be that hard, about 2-3 hours of work.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:03 AM
goon54

looks pretty clean dude. good job.. u got that din below the radio from crutchfield right? the problem is that the original frame is all bent out of shape so i might have an issue using the piece and im new to fabricating so this finna be fun!!!
plus i have an exhaust leak on my racing medallion. my ears hurtin.. cant wait for the world sport to come in
Old 02-11-2005, 09:11 AM
swaggs21

Actually I got it from a local shop. I do all of my own work now, due to a couple of cacs helping me learn some stuff (westcoast and SRTAndy), and some people on here.

Bent medal is nothing that I torch cant fix, just make sure that there is not carpet or plastic around and that you were gloves....

Depending on when I get my P28 and harness will depend on when I jump into this....

It is definitely not an easy task to get that head unit out....