Notices

Oil Pan Gasket change '92 civic

Old 02-05-2005, 06:46 PM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Gasket change '92 civic

Changing the gasket on the oil pan of a '92 Civic DX Hatch should be easy right? The only thing is that annoying exhaust pipe in the way. Do I have to remove this to do the job? Is there enough clearance to remove the oil pan without removing the exhaust pipe? If the exhaust pipe must be removed, this job ain't gonna be easy. I just want to change the leaking gasket.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:05 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Originally Posted by dpkelly
Changing the gasket on the oil pan of a '92 Civic DX Hatch should be easy right? The only thing is that annoying exhaust pipe in the way. Do I have to remove this to do the job? Is there enough clearance to remove the oil pan without removing the exhaust pipe? If the exhaust pipe must be removed, this job ain't gonna be easy. I just want to change the leaking gasket.

I can't envision it in my head, but I do not remember the exhaust being in the way of oilpan...

Should be pretty easy - why are you changing it may I ask? Leaking or precautionary maintenance?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:10 PM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

Yes remove the exhaust pipe. It's only a couple of bolts just remove it and save yourself the grief. Changing an oilpan should take you 1 1/2 hours tops including cleaning the gasket surface. You will also have to remove the little flywheel access plate thinga majiggy. It's no big deal, really. I just put a new Moroso pan on my coupe a while back.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

If you remove the two bolts that connect the manifold to the cat, the flex of the manifold should be enough to get the pan out of the way. The flywheel cover may be an issue as well but that may only be me...:dunno:
Old 02-06-2005, 05:29 PM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

Sounds easy I hope. :nervous: What if those bolts on the exhaust are totally rusted? Does a blow torch do the job? I usually only do basic maintenance on my '92 Civic. This is new territory for me.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

It is a little more than basic maintenence but very straight-forward. A torch may help but you never know. Get a big ass breaker bar down there and see if that helps if they are seized.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:13 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Originally Posted by dpkelly
Sounds easy I hope. :nervous: What if those bolts on the exhaust are totally rusted? Does a blow torch do the job? I usually only do basic maintenance on my '92 Civic. This is new territory for me.
PB Blaster is your friend!

FYI, make sure u drain your oil before removing the oil pan! & yea, clean the oil pan out while your at it.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:10 AM
dpkelly
1999 Civic Driver

Thanks for your replies. I'll have a first hand look at the rust that's accumulated over 13yrs of ownership in the great white north. I'll also buy equivalent stainless steel bolts as replacements. Hey, I might even get a chance to look up into the exhaust manifold at the O2 sensor. If I have access to it, I could clean it off!! Your replies about how easy it is, brings this job within reach. Maybe I'll attempt it in a few weeks.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:00 AM
93civicsedan

I changed the gasket on my car a few weeks ago. The bolts that connect the headers to the rest of the exhaust where really rusted and wouldnt come off. It was easier to just remove the header bolts that connect to the engine and then I had enough clearance to remove the pan.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:41 AM
Redcivic
One of the original OG's

Removing an o2 that has been in that long ia a bitch. I broke a 1/2 craftsman rachet trying that once. It easier just to buy a new header and O2 !