Notices

I have a cracked manifold on my civic and bad ball bearing on A/C

Old 01-28-2005, 01:41 PM
ajusaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a cracked manifold on my civic and bad ball bearing on A/C

well just bought this car for 3k the other night and has 95k miles and had the checked engine light on and he said its always the 02 sensor that goes bad every 20k miles but turns out to be by the 02 sensor the upper top one there is a crack on the manifold. I dislike this manifold b/c it has the cat convereter along with it(all in one). Can i find this cheap and saev money by installing it myself? My crx is not liek this and i taken the manifold out myself plenty of times. They are qouting me $695 for labor and part. I bet half of that is labor. need help where to fidn this or can i go by just the manifold from other models and run the cat converter further down basically a custom job. and the a/c bearing are bad they say how hard is that to DYI?>
Old 01-28-2005, 01:43 PM
ajusaf

ps I just found this site for $219 for the cat and manifold but i'm sur ei can find it cheaper
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustMani...P1390362/42172
Old 01-28-2005, 05:32 PM
ajusaf

bump
Old 01-28-2005, 06:29 PM
ajusaf

pics of the crack
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0139.JPG (112.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg
IMAG0140.JPG (112.5 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

You only need to replace the manifold. The converter isn't bad. They come apart.

The o2 sensor keeps going bad because it's getting wet from condensation every time your car warms up and cools off, and I bet your car smells like crap if you let it sit.

Unfortunately the manifold on your car is different than my 5g cx or I'd volunteer mine for like $25+shipping. But mine won't fit your car. I believe Honda has a recall on some model's manifolds... might want to see if yours is covered by the recall. Maybe someone else has that link.

As far as the bearing is concerned, just get a remanufactured or used AC compressor from someone and swap them. Rebuilding those things is a time consuming PITA, and either way you choose to do it, you'll have to have the refrigerant evacuated and recharged. Easier (and usually cheaper) to just swap it out.

PS: sorry about the PM earlier... I was having a really bad day.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Sorry, not covered by a recall.

Here are all the recalls for '96 civics...

1. Driver's side floor mat. :rofl:
2. Vehicle speed sensor
3. Brake booster check valve.

Sorry, no manifolds. I searched www.nhtsa.gov.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
RC-96V106-NN.PDF (165.0 KB, 19 views)
RCDNN-99E015-5298.pdf (72.8 KB, 14 views)
RCRIT-99I002-9675.pdf (73.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-28-2005, 10:46 PM
umop-apisdn
Allergic to vitamin D

Originally Posted by Jafro

Here are all the recalls for '96 civics...

1. Driver's side floor mat. :rofl:
"Floor mat could prevent accelerator pedal from returning to idle when foot is removed, possibly causing crash."

Doesn't sound very funny to me.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Normally you see things like tie rod ends, ball joits, fuel systems and ultra-flamable ignition systems fall under safety recalls. Really, I think it's cool that Honda's so picky.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:53 AM
19.3secS2K
my bum is on the swedish!

Originally Posted by Jafro
bullshit :db:

https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...acked+manifold

I've talked about this so many times.... h:

Originally Posted by me
Well, I just got off the phone with Honda Customer Service....

first of all, a link: http://www.cartrackers.com/Forums/live/Honda/305.html

that link pretty much has a bunch of people talking about their manifolds cracking and getting them replaced. Alot of those people are Canadia, or from California, where the warrenty was extended to 150k.

now then, a while back I tried contacting the dealership about this issue. They told me 80k/8 years. However, after talking to honda CS, they told me the 96-97s were pushed to 150k for their emissions repairs. So I called up another dealership and set up an appointment for them to fix my header for free!

If you have this problem, and ran into the same dumbass dearship people as I did, I suggest doing what this guy says:

Originally Posted by brubin
I have a 99 Honda CIvic VP. I recently had the 90K mile service completed, and the dealer told me I had a cracked exhaust manifold. For the 99 Civic, the warranty is only for 8/80. I fought this by calling Honda USA at 800-999-1009. They worked with my local dealer to replace the part for free. If you have this same issue, you should fight this all the way up. This has proven to be a defect in the Civic model, and they are trying to make everyone pay for their own mistake.
call that number! (800-999-1009)

the guy on the other end was real cool with me, I gave him my VIN and some information, and he told me indeed, they changed the warrenty. So just an FYI for my fellow slow-pokes with the shitty built-in cats...

hey, it beats paying $700 to replace it
Old 01-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

:thumbup:

Wow. I thought everything was reported to NHTSA, and it wasn't on there. That's sweet. Good luck!