Notices

Wheel Hop Questioin

Old 01-28-2005, 11:21 AM
EGwanted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hop Questioin

I have another quick question for everyone. Sometimes when i take off in my hatch and don't give it enough gas (5spd) the frt right wheel hops. Like a stutter, not like its going to die but like im pilling out and the wheel is hopping. Its driving me insane!!! Its not me, i've been driving a 5spd for 6yrs. I have a feeling its related to the suspension since its crap (stock struts/shocks w/ knock off coilovers (ebay)). They were on the car when i got it, im waiting for my Koni's and Skunk2's ........So any help would be nice. Thanks alot guys for everything

-Andru
Old 01-28-2005, 11:38 AM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think it would be your bushing thats shot. maybe even your strut.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:39 AM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

defently check your struts
Old 01-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

check your motor mounts, too.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:51 PM
EGwanted

I have new struts coming. So when i replace them, i will be more sure. What is teh best way to check my mounts?

-Andru
Old 01-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

The best way is to pop the hood and have someone stand on the brakes and the e-brake on, put it in 1st gear and then in reverse and slip the clutch while watching the front and rear mounts. It's a lot easier with an automatic transmission because all you have to do is power brake the car in drive or reverse... If the engine moves an absurd amount in the engine bay, then you may have a worn out mount. Then get a light and look closely at the rubber and see if you can spot any rips or tears in it. Most cars have 4 or 5 mounts. I believe civics have 5... Front mount, rear mount, transmission mount, timing-side mount, and lower-front timing-side mount. The ones that take the most abuse are the transmission mount and the front and rear mounts, but they can all wear independantly.

They're not terribly expensive unless you walk into a dealer's parts counter and order them as Joe customer. Most auto shops can get them way cheaper... but if it's not too far gone, you can install polyeurethane inserts and that will lock them down very well. If the rubber part has separated, then there's no saving it with inserts. Those only work on good mounts.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:51 AM
EGwanted

Motor mounts are fine

-Andru
Old 02-05-2005, 12:42 PM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

it could be your springs too. Check the rest of your suspension bushings too.