Notices

Fuel filter on 96 Civic

Old 01-27-2005, 03:44 PM
omkarparnaik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel filter on 96 Civic

My mechanic just asked me to change my fuel filter. and quoted 74 dollars for the same.

Is it resonable price ? Is this something that I could do by myself like changing air filters?

Where is the fuel filter located ?

Help appreciated.

Thanks -
Old 01-27-2005, 03:51 PM
PDiggityDogg
Meanwhile, up in The D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you really dont have to change them unless its acting up - they have no required maint schedule.

You can see the filter in the pic here
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=985513

You need a 14mm flare nut wrench and the new filter, along w/ new crush washers (which should come w/ the filter if you get it from honda as a kit)

All you do is remove the bolts and nuts holding the lines to the filter and replace. Takes less than 10mins
(I suggest a rag to cover it while you undo the bolts)
Old 01-27-2005, 04:06 PM
JoePoonani
Lexus Tech y0!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea its really easy. they only cost like 30-35 bucks.
Old 01-27-2005, 05:10 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

Originally Posted by omkarparnaik
My mechanic just asked me to change my fuel filter. and quoted 74 dollars for the same.

Is it resonable price ? Is this something that I could do by myself like changing air filters?

Where is the fuel filter located ?

Help appreciated.

Thanks -
I should do a DIY on this. You could always do it yourself. Free time, effort, and knowledge is what your paying the mechanic for.

$75 sounds typical, but not a good deal. The filter costs about $25 and $50 labor (in hour increments) sounds typical.

This is a job you could learn how to do though (off the top of my head):
1) buy fuel filter replacement from Honda dealer (or wherever), which will come with a new crush washer in the box
2) do this in a well ventilated area
3) open your gas cap (the filler cap) to let the pressure out
4) pop hood and locate fuel filter (red arrows in pic below, it's the same for DX/LX/EX/Si even though engines are different)
5) look at the thing and note: banjo bolt on top, bolt on bottom to in/out fuel lines; filter is held in by a bracket which is bolted to a larger bracket which is held by 2 bolts to the chassis
6) get the right size wrench (17/18mm or something) and put it on the top banjo bolt but DON'T loosen yet
7) cover the filter and wrench with a rag and try to wrap the rage all around the filter; this is to prevent fuel, which WILL leak out, from spraying everywhere. Step 3 above should have reduced the pressure, but fuel will still leak out
8) loosen the banjo bolt and let the fuel soak in the rag... no there is no more pressure. (BTW, all the bolts follow the normal screw direction: clockwise to tighten, counterclock to loosen)
9) undo the bolt the rest of the way
10) for the bottom, you'll need two wrench to loosen the nut; and more fuel will leak out so keep the rag underneath
11) remove the 2 bolts holding the large bracket to the chassis
12) pull the filter and braket out of the car and remove the bolt holding the filter to the bracket
13) replace filter with the new one and replace the crush washer at the top
14) reverse the install
15) start car; it will take awhile to turn over as fuel has to be repumped into the filter. Let the car idle a bit and don't rev.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:50 PM
bambbrose

$25 for a fuel filter? shit I got mine at carquest, the nicest one they had, for $12.99.

Changing it takes all of 10 minutes and a 17mm wrench, 10mm, and maybe 14mm too. Easy as two verner hungry fatties.

Make sure to use the new supplied washers and check for leaks when you are done.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:24 AM
omkarparnaik

Thanks a bunch guys ! That helps.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:25 AM
ajusaf

should change it every 40-50k miles
Old 01-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Human Hybrid

Lol, changed mine in the park, less than 5 minutes... I work at an oil change shop where I do them on a daily basis... *sigh* I need a better job..
Old 01-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Human Hybrid

[/QUOTE]

That's a clever intake set-up...does that really help/work better than the cone filter set-up?
Old 01-29-2005, 01:17 PM
chimchim
WRX cuz Honda won't wagon

That's not my pic or my car. I don't know how well it works, but it looks to me like a rigged up icebox type intake using an AEM ram air.