Notices

Cant seem to figure this out??

Old 01-27-2005, 02:44 PM
c-dubb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant seem to figure this out??

i have a 1993 del sol i had a panasonic mp3 deck, i replaced it with a new jvc mp3 deck i installed it yesterday, everything was working fine but my right front speaker wasnt working so i fiddled with all the wires made sure connections were in the right place, i couldnt figure it out so i shoved the deck back in and turned on my car bang deck wouldnt turn on, i pulled everything out disconnected all wires, re attached everything nothing...now i cant get power to the deck. and the clock on the dash is no longer working either. so i thought a fuse was blown but under the hood and in the car all fuses are fine, on the red power wire going to my wiring harness i noticed theres a resistor and a 7A fuse which is blown seems like theres no power from the wire at all and thats all i can tell that for now thats not working, how do i restore powerr!!!! it seems like its the wires in my car that are dead....but no fuses are blown....but my clock is out....hmmmmm!
helppppp!
Old 01-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

you obviously shorted a power wire to ground when you pushed the radio back in, make sure there are no bare wires or pointy metal objects. (sounds stupid but there are two screws right at the back of the radio that love to jam themselves into wires.

the radio and clock are both powered from the same fuse in the under dash fuse box.

what happens when you replace the 7amp fuse in the red wire?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:51 PM
lgbr
Wal-Mart Shopper

Get a multimeter, it really helps. Also check the under the dash fuses, its likely to be one of those.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:45 PM
BatuKing

Originally Posted by lgbr
Get a multimeter, it really helps. Also check the under the dash fuses, its likely to be one of those.
you sometimes cannot See the break on the fuse but its there.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:25 AM
c-dubb

ok as far as i know there are two fuse boxes one under the hood, and one on the driver side above the clutch, am i missing one? i replaced the radio fuse in the fusebox inside the car but it didnt fix, the 7A fuse is like one of those long tube style fuses and it connects the red wire i am gonna get a new one tommorow but even without the fuse shouldnt the wire be live?? cus it aint doing anything, anyways u think i should hookup the deck to the battery to see if it still works? is it possible i jus fried the deck? i hope not and i dont think so tho cus it seems like the wires leading from my car have no power at all
Old 01-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Relic1
Teal Hatch Cult Member

does the cigarette lighter have power?
does the radio work when you turn on the headlights?
Old 01-28-2005, 09:02 AM
monicle
Repo.Jackmoves.Com

the trick is to actually solder wires rather than using crimp connectors or wire nuts. then you never have to worry about shorting wires unless you cant wrap a wire with electrical tape. if youre having trouble with that then i cant help you.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:33 AM
wilsel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c-dubb
ok as far as i know there are two fuse boxes one under the hood, and one on the driver side above the clutch, am i missing one? i replaced the radio fuse in the fusebox inside the car but it didnt fix, the 7A fuse is like one of those long tube style fuses and it connects the red wire i am gonna get a new one tommorow but even without the fuse shouldnt the wire be live?? cus it aint doing anything, anyways u think i should hookup the deck to the battery to see if it still works? is it possible i jus fried the deck? i hope not and i dont think so tho cus it seems like the wires leading from my car have no power at all
Hard tell over the internet. One thing you could do, although it's ghetto-rigging is wrap the blown fuse with aluminum foil, and stick it back in. See if it works after that. I would get another fuse asap though.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

If the 7A fuse is attached to the radio and it's blown, then

A) something blew it and it could still be a problem

B) your radio won't get power until it's replaced.

...the foil thing works for a test, but I wouldn't leave it like that if you value your electronic equipment.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:51 PM
lgbr
Wal-Mart Shopper

Originally Posted by wilsel
Hard tell over the internet. One thing you could do, although it's ghetto-rigging is wrap the blown fuse with aluminum foil, and stick it back in. See if it works after that. I would get another fuse asap though.
Not a good idea, you'll just blow another fuse.