Notices

Need Help - Honda Civic 94 - valve cover gasket bolts

Old 12-27-2004, 12:39 PM
civichatchhelp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help - Honda Civic 94 - valve cover gasket bolts

Hi! I have a 94 Honda Civic Hatchback (DX - I believe) and I need help. I went to an auto parts store because my radiator was not keeping fluid. They checked it out and said I needed a new radiator cap - so I got one, and all is well. The problem is as follows:

They also noticed my slow oil leak and said that I most likely just needed to replace the valve cover gasket. They said it was really easy - just take off the 4 bolts, remove the old gasket, put another in, and tighten the bolts back down. So, I did this. Well, after I ran it for a while and all seemed well, I took it for a little drive to see. When I returned home, almost all of the oil had leaked out - right where I replaced the gasket. So, I was checking to see if the bolts were in tightly and managed to strip something. In speaking with someone, they noted that the screws are generally steel and the valve cover and such are aluminum - so it's probably not the screw that's stripped. I'm trying to get an estimate on the re-threading, but feel like I'm getting the run-around. My normal shop is closed and I need the cheapest deal. Does anyone know the name of the thing the screw actually goes into so I can explain what exactly I need?

Also, in regards to this, I called another auto part store and they said I was supposed to add sealant (even though this was not mentioned by either of the two stores I contacted to get the gasket mentioned any of this. I've called a couple of shops and some say yes - others say no way on sealant. Anyone know the truth about this?
Old 12-27-2004, 01:01 PM
copperfox
nubsos

I don't know as far as the bolt-thing goes, but when I first took off my valve cover, there was not any gasket sealant. I decided to use the same gasket when I put the valve cover back on, so to be safe I bought some copper liquidy gasket maker. I followed the directions, and just as before I removed the valve cover, I still have no leaks. So basically I'm saying it's ok to use gasket sealer, just use it as directed.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:40 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Remember, those things only need 7lb-ft of torque.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:34 PM
bambbrose

you will probably need a helicoil to fix the threads, or to have someone re-tap the hole. You can use easyouts to pull out the old bolt that is left in the hole if there is any. Get a new bolt at the dealership. They only need to be snug, barely even past hand tight
Old 12-28-2004, 07:03 AM
civichatchhelp

Thanks everyone for your replies! I was able to get the nut off the top and found that the nut was completely stripped, but everything else was fine. Now, I'm on my mission to find a new one and should be good. I also will have to fix the gasket in tighter - I think that's the problem. I was able to get ahold of a friend who said I could use sealant, but he wouldn't recommend it, as it isn't necessary and will make the gasket super difficult to remove if the need arises.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:37 AM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

even if u didn't tighten the valve cover bolts down tight enough the first time.. i doubt all the oil would come out that fast. My guess is that you layed the gasket down on the head & then set the valve cover down on it assuming that it was set right in the grove! This is not the correct way to do this. I'm just guessing what you did coz none of us saw u do the job!

The correct way to put that valve cover gasket back on is to lay it in the grove (sp) on the valve cover, assureing that it's snug before you flip the valve cover over & set it down gently being sure not to let any portion of the valave cover gasket come loose. Then tighten up the bolts. I usualy tighten them with my own judgment, but it looks like Kai has that spec memorized! so torque it to spec & u shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I really hope you didn't strip out the threads in the head!

good luck bro!
Old 12-28-2004, 08:27 AM
shifty35

I usually just use a real thin layer of hondabond on the head surface when I replace valve cover gaskets. The bolts for the valve cover actually go into the head itself, so you need to get the actual head retapped. I've helicoiled one before, it's not bad at all.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Running925
Your Powder Coater

Originally Posted by shifty35
I usually just use a real thin layer of hondabond on the head surface when I replace valve cover gaskets. The bolts for the valve cover actually go into the head itself, so you need to get the actual head retapped. I've helicoiled one before, it's not bad at all.

I usually put some at the corners & a little in the sections that don't have bolts near them!