Notices

Is an engine really that heavy?

Old 07-29-2004, 08:01 PM
saga
broke college kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is an engine really that heavy?

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but here I go. I found a good deal on a B18B1, I'm checking it and making sure everything is legit and it's local. I don't have the funds to get the install done on my 93' DX yet and I also want to swap the tranny from auto to manual when I do the engine swap. So my question is, if when I go to pick up the motor then put it in my mothers pos station wagon will me and like five other guys be able to carry it into my garage to store until it's ready to be swapped. I don't have an motor hoist cauase I never plan on lifting a motor out of a car. I know my neighbor has two engine just chilling behind his house wrapped in a tarp and he doesn't have a hoist so I'm thinking it's possible to carry the engine? Also, do you think a B18B1 will fit in a Subaru Outback station wagon for transport? Or will I need to get a friend with a van? And for those of you who are going to tell me to get a diff. engine than the B18B1 I'm not building a race car, just something with a nice kick to drive around town and I think the B18B1 will suit me just fine. Although, comments on the engine choice are also welcome. Sorry if this post seems like it's in the wrong place. I dunno, I have a 93' DX and this is a question regarding a swap into that car so I thought here would be appropriate. If not move it wherever it's suppose to go.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:12 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

took me and one other person for my D15... depends on the people I guess.

BTW what kinda 93dx? coupe , ferio , or hatch? If you got a coupe then you have my car! :thumbup:
Old 07-29-2004, 08:14 PM
saga
broke college kid

Coupe. Nice to know another person with the same car who's already worked on it. Only thing I've done to mine so far is a CAI which I realized I should've not bought cause I'm going to be doing bigger engine projects that are just going to make the CAI I have useless.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:15 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

it might not make it useless...

Anyway, be happy, you got the light car =D
Old 07-29-2004, 08:16 PM
saga
broke college kid

Originally Posted by alphaxxn
took me and one other person for my D15... depends on the people I guess.
Yea, I'm weak, 6'2'' 150lbs. fully clothed, with jewelry, and change in pockets, lol. But I definitely have strong friends. How much more does the B series engine weigh? I know it weighs more, but I think I remember reading it was something like 50lbs.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:17 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Originally Posted by saga
Yea, I'm weak, 6'2'' 150lbs. fully clothed, with jewelry, and change in pockets, lol. But I definitely have strong friends. How much more does the B series engine weigh? I know it weighs more, but I think I remember reading it was something like 50lbs.

not enough to constitute another person

The d wasnt hard to lift at all, we werent trying.

Heh, I consider myself pretty weak too, but im 6'0 180lbs, so atleast now you got me thinking im not as weak as I think! =D

Thank god im not fat.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:18 PM
saga
broke college kid

Originally Posted by alphaxxn
it might not make it useless...

Anyway, be happy, you got the light car =D
I got a light car, in Camilia Red, which I think is definitely an ugly color. Need a paint job after I get engine done. Although the ultimate sleeper, people will think it's a chick car, hehe. No offense to girls but I think everyone gets the point.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:20 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Is that the name of the fifth gen stock red? if so then my car is the same color

soon to be graphite black though, when I get the time to do my lips :0
Old 07-29-2004, 08:23 PM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Here's one question for you though,

are you going to retain AC when you do the swap? My AC didnt work when I got the car, and its not half bad with just open windows, so I didnt.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:24 PM
saga
broke college kid

Goto www.tirerack.com and do shop for wheels. Then enter info for 93' DX Coupe and when the wheel chooser thing comes up change the color to Camellia Red. That's the ugly color, I think you're thinking of Torino Red which is the normal red color that we all know and think of.