Notices

2000 Civic - oil seeping from valve cover bolts...

Old 05-06-2014, 02:55 PM
PhunkeyPhish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Civic - oil seeping from valve cover bolts...

I've got a 2000 civic recently had an oil, coolant and transmission change done at the dealer. I then took it on a 2 hour drive and could smell burnt oil after the drive. I had an oil leak from the distributor O ring fixed a few months ago and thought it might be just old oil causing the smell (typically only drive 10-15 minutes at a time so thought smell might linger?) but on inspection I see that there appears to be a tiny bit of fresh oil on a few of the valve cover bolts, nowhere else and there is nothing leaking under the car at all. I just think it's odd the dealer didn't mention this last week during the oil change. Is this something I should have checked out and or fixed? Slightly concerned because I am driving the car from FL to MA at the end of the month.

Last edited by PhunkeyPhish; 05-06-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:48 PM
ChrisS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull one of the leaking valve cover bolts.

There should be:
-valve cover acorn bolt
-metal washer
-rubber grommet (this makes the valve cover bolt seal air and oil tight; sealing against the valve cover and the stud the bolt threads on to.)

maybe, the dealer's tech somehow lost the rubber grommet on a few of your valve cover bolts.

take care,
ChrisS