Notices

Clutch pedal is soft like butter... 2000 Civic

Old 07-16-2013, 07:46 AM
ek9cusco
got milk?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal is soft like butter... 2000 Civic

it's been a while since i drove my civic and it was parked on an incline so the 1st gear was engaged along with hand brake.

after 3 months of not driving it, today i tried to take it out for car wash. the clutch pedal was soft like melted butter. i can press it all the way down easily with about 1 in of resistance. the car starts just fine and can shift. but requires me to sit super forward like a grandma to step the clutch down.

i check the clutch fluid and looks to be full. is there like a cable or nut i can tighter and adjust somewhere?

please help.. thanks.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:32 PM
fathergoat
:3

It sounds like the master or slave cylinder is going out. Try bleeding the fluid and see if that helps. It could also be the pressure plate, if so you're clutch will start slipping soon. But bleed it first before you assume anything.

Last edited by fathergoat; 07-18-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:33 PM
ek9cusco
got milk?

how to bleed it? i tried to youtube it, but found most are on bench bleeding. most of all, some are not for my car..
Old 08-27-2013, 09:53 PM
ChrisS

There should be a bleeder bolt on the clutch slave cylinder.

Attach a plastic tube (preferably with a spring loaded ball bearing valve) to the bleeder bolt.
Put the end of the tube in a small (1 or 2 cup) container that's not affected by brake fluid.
Open the bleeder bolt about a quarter turn.
If you have the tube with the ball-bearing valve, pump the clutch pedal 3 or 4 times.
If you just have a plain old tube, you'll need a second person.
Open bleeder bolt a quarter turn, Have 2nd person press the clutch pedal to the floor and hold it. Close the bleeder bolt. Release clutch pedal. Repeat 3 or 4 times.

If the fluid isn't clear, repeat until it is. Topping off the clutch master cylinder as necessary.
If bleeding the clutch doesn't fix the problem, it could be a bad seal in either the master or slave cylinder (look for signs of leaking brake fluid)