Notices

Manual Transmission Problems??

Old 02-16-2010, 06:46 PM
ar56529

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Transmission Problems??

Hello,

I own a 1999 Honda Civic EX (manual transmission). The transmission is making a rattling noise when accelerating over 3000 RPMS in all gears. It also makes the same sound when I release the accelerator when approaching a stop sign and slowing down. I have a brand new clutch (both bearings, plate and disk were replaced). The transmission shifts very smoothly, however, the rattling sound is driving me crazy. I drove the car for one or two days before I realized the release bearing needed to be replaced.

The engine and transmission have around 117k miles.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for loose bolts/brackets. If the noise is coming from inside the transmission suspect main shaft bearings.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:56 PM
kushwave

I had an automatic el and thats exactly what happened to me last week. The next day on my way to the mechanic one of the times i let go of the accelerator it made a couple louder clicks and the engine turned off. I tried to start it and the starter just kept clicking. Apparantly i bent my valves is what my mechanic told me and i need to replace my motor. I just thought id tell u just incase it is the same problem u can know what to expect and get it fixed. However i am not sayin thats what it is in your car but thats just the same thing that happened to me and i couldnt figure out what was causing that rattle. I hope it helps.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:53 PM
ar56529

Ok, so there is a good chance that I need to rebuild the transmission. I've read some posts and it seems that I may be better off by buying a "used" in good condition transmission. Has anyone rebuilt a transmission? I found a write up on how to rebuilt a transmision but it was not the same model that I have. Any insight will be appreciated...

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Fuse

Manual transmission are not to bad to work on get a book for you car www.hondatech.info search for your car..........
Old 02-24-2010, 02:27 PM
ar56529

Thanks Fuse, I downloaded the manual and it looks complicated but not impossible. I figure, if I take my time and follow the instructions I can rebuild the trasmission myself. I called around to three different places that work on transmissions to get a quote and they wanted to charge me (with the transmission already off the car) $650 to rebuild it; other place wanted $350 for labor + parts. Again, the transmission needed to be dismounted already. It sounded expensive so that's why I decided to do it myself.

Any good places to get transmission parts other than Honda that somebody can recomend? The Main Shaft Bearing is also known as the Input Shaft Bearing right?

Thansk again.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Fuse

Originally Posted by ar56529
Thanks Fuse, I downloaded the manual and it looks complicated but not impossible. I figure, if I take my time and follow the instructions I can rebuild the trasmission myself. I called around to three different places that work on transmissions to get a quote and they wanted to charge me (with the transmission already off the car) $650 to rebuild it; other place wanted $350 for labor + parts. Again, the transmission needed to be dismounted already. It sounded expensive so that's why I decided to do it myself.

Any good places to get transmission parts other than Honda that somebody can recomend? The Main Shaft Bearing is also known as the Input Shaft Bearing right?

Thansk again.
I would stick with oem honda stuff main and input shaft bearings same thing different names. I would get both one just slides off the shaft the other you and punch out of the case easy threw the main shaft hole. The counter shaft bearings are a pain they have to be pressed off and on but they do not go bad as often as the main shaft bearings.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:56 AM
aserre34

hey i found this information really useful just wanted to say thanks

audi service