Notices

Humming noise at speed 60mph

Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 PM
shipu7la

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Humming noise at speed 60mph

Hi All:

I am getting this loud humming noise at speed 59-60mph. This noise appear only when the speed is 59-60mph. Does anyone experiencing this prob? Or any Idea what is going on? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

2007 Civic EX Coupe. ODO: 42150 miles. OEM tires & everything.

Thanks
Bill.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:27 AM
cruzalekz

could be any of the following:

axle has play, tires, bent rim.

my suggestion to you, rotate your tires and see if the noise moves to the rear at least assuming the noise you have is comimng from the front at the moment.

if the noise goes to the rear, then thats the tire or the rim, if not, check the axle for excessive play
Old 07-19-2009, 10:14 AM
vtec4clyfury
Geese!

could also be a wheel bearing in need of replacement. Usually they hum around 40 mph but you can try lifting the car, have someone hold speed (make your e brake is on, blocks behind it, make sure its on GOOD jack stands...........) and put either a stethoscope or a screwdriver to rear of the bearing if nothing is in the way and see if you can hear excessive noise.

Bearings will also make bad "barking" or "loud rubbing" sounds when backing up slow or driving foward very slow. Most of the time they are pressed and sealed meaning they aren't serviceable. So you can't really take them apart to check the bearing case. Almost every case you will need to replace the bearing hub with another.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:56 PM
shipu7la

Well, I rotated the tires and the humming noise was gone. But a bigger problem showed up. My whole car was shaking at speed 35mph. Then, I took all 4 tires out to inspect them and found out that one of the tires was bad. Since I had over 40,000 miles on these tires, I am changing all 4 of em. I will post the result about humming noise after i change the tires today.

Thanks for your feedback.

-Bill
Old 07-25-2009, 04:24 PM
cruzalekz

make sure to have the tire tech put the bad rim in the back. also a good idea to have the allignment checked