Notices

cold air intake?

Old 05-14-2007, 09:40 PM
ech-a-sketch
junior si

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cold air intake?

hi i'm eric and am new here.. i just bought a 07 si and i want to start this thing with the best parts. I just recently transitioned from mustangs and i had some work with engines. I want to know what is the diffrence between a cold air or a short ram intake? and from the two which company makes the best one? i have looked at injen and also k & N but cant seem to tell which one would be better... any help?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:03 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

The sole difference is the location of the filter and the length of the tubing.

A short ram intake locates the filter well within the engine bay and the tubing is generally designed to minimize the number of bends between the filter, mass air sensor and throttle body.

A cold air intake will extend the intake tubing out and down to the front of the engine bay in an effort to draw on colder intake air passing through the bumper ducts. Because the filter is exposed to the elements and the tubing extends fairly low, there is an increased risk of water ingestion.

In term of engineering, it all comes down to the quality of filter.
Injen is a quality brand with proven results.

If it were my call, I would play it safe and buy a short ram intake.
The difference in intake air temps at speed is trivial.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 05-15-2007, 05:51 AM
ech-a-sketch
junior si

thanks for the help but are there any other parts i could use that would not void the warranty? i know hfp makes exhaust, rims, and shocks, but are these competetive top of the line? or would simple bolt ons void the warranty?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:01 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by ech-a-sketch
thanks for the help but are there any other parts i could use that would not void the warranty? i know hfp makes exhaust, rims, and shocks, but are these competetive top of the line? or would simple bolt ons void the warranty?
Read the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act.
It protects your warranty when you use aftermarket parts.

According the act, your warranty claim cannot be denied just because aftermarket parts are installed. The dealer has to prove a cause-and-effect relationship between the aftermarket part and the system that has failed.

For example, if you have a short ram intake, they cannot deny your claim for new wheel bearings. The intake and wheel bearings are completely unrelated systems; the presence of the former doesn't dictate the service life of the other.

But if you had installed aftermarket rims with the wrong offset and those rims contributed to premature bearing failure, then the dealer would have grounds to deny your warranty claim.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:49 PM
ech-a-sketch
junior si

hey thanks for the help, today i went to the dealer and told one of the guys there about it and he told me with the parts am getting i should be fine. My wife is getting a honda fit sport mt. i have a question about this mugen si that is coming, do the sell the parts so i could build one myself? what about this super charged mugen that came out in japan that is pushing 290 horses?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:55 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by ech-a-sketch
hey thanks for the help, today i went to the dealer and told one of the guys there about it and he told me with the parts am getting i should be fine. My wife is getting a honda fit sport mt. i have a question about this mugen si that is coming, do the sell the parts so i could build one myself? what about this super charged mugen that came out in japan that is pushing 290 horses?
The Mugen Si is just going to be a limited edition Si with contrived and ugly aero bits tacked on for a ridiculous premium price.

And the Mugen tuned Fit with the Eaton blower is only a concept at this point.

But there is a new centrifugal supercharger kit available from Jackon Racing.
Head on over to our Fit forum for more info on all things Fit. h:

Old 05-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Johar

It may depend on what state your in, but I thought out here any installed aftermarket part voided the warranty. Im in IL.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:19 PM
totalimmortal
MalleusMaleficarum

I don't believe the act has state boundries.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:36 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by totalimmortal
I don't believe the act has state boundries.
You're right.
The protections in Magnusson-Moss are at the federal level.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/.../warranty.shtm