Notices

Civic EX, Scion Tc, or Mazda 3?? Your thoughts?

Old 12-14-2006, 06:18 AM
wcooksey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic EX, Scion Tc, or Mazda 3?? Your thoughts?

I'm in the market. I own a 98 civic and a 03 pilot, with 1 civic and 1 accord owned previously (proof that I love Honda). I LOVE the redesigned Civic, but my loyalties are being tested. Can some of you experts out there give me some thoughts on which direction to go, other than "Hondas are better"

Here's how I see it:

Civic EX with Nav:
The R18A1 1.8L engine puts out 140@6300/128lb torque. Awesome design. Sweet Nav system. Great resale. Timing belt (which I always drive my cars long enough to need at least 1 swap)

Scion Tc with Nav:
2AZ-FE 2.4L engine puts out 157@5600/162lb torque (same as the camery I4). Decent design, but cockpit strikes me as having a lot of cheap plastic buttons and knobs. "Decent" nav system (pioneer w/ bluetooth, but no voice control). Right now it's looking like great resale. Timing CHAIN!

Mazda 3 with Nav:
Not as serious a contender as the Scion but: MZR 2.0L DOHC 148@6500/135lb torque. Timing Chain.

The Civic has more standard features, but I'm more interested in power. The Scion and Mazda are a little cheaper too. Your thoughts O great-ones?

William

98 Civic + 03 Pilot + (07 Civic/07 Scion/07 Mazda3)
Old 12-14-2006, 09:35 AM
prelood

You could get the 2.3L Mazda 3
Old 12-15-2006, 09:10 AM
wcooksey

Yea, the 2.3 rocks, but if I could spring for it, I think I would just snag a Si. I test-drove an Si sedan last week and it is SOOoooo sweet. It was the second one the dealer had recieved.

William
Old 12-18-2006, 09:57 AM
boltuprite

they don't seel Scion's in Canada so when I was shopping for a car the competition for the Civic EX was Mazda 3 or Toyota Corolla or Matrix.

Ruled out the Toyotas products real quick as they are both rather dated designs and I found the Matrix rather slow.

the Mazda 3 was nice, really goog looking interior and dash, but the Civic EX drove much nicer and offerred more standard equipment that was optional on the Mazda,

Also Honda's re-sale value much higher than Mazda products.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:58 AM
goon54

didnt know the Tc came with navi..?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:37 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by goon54
didnt know the Tc came with navi..?
It doesn't.
The OP would retrofit an aftermarket nav unit.

If 4 doors + power is your ultimate goal, the new Civic Si Sedan should be on this list instead of the EX.

Complicating matters further is the Mazdaspeed 3...
260+hp is nothing to sneeze at. h:

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 12-19-2006, 01:44 AM
ErichPryde

if nothing else, look at it this way- the R18 in the civic is putting out, what, 140 hp? the 2.4L engine in the scion tc is putting out... 17 more? the tC has an engine that more than half a litre bigger and that's all you get? heck, a little work and the R18 can match and easily beat that (not that the 2.4L in the tC cant be modified...) and you get to stick with the new civic, which I really like.
Mazda should be totally out unless you're looking at the new mazdaspeed, which is ex-PENSIVE.
I own a 2006 civic Si coupe, and I love it. love. it. if you're looking for power with four doors, sacrifice a fast food habit and go with the civic si sedan.

it's amazing how much money you can save by not eating out.