Notices

Hondata IMG installation comments (PICTSSss..)

Old 10-27-2006, 11:14 AM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata IMG installation comments (PICTSSss..)

I got kind-of tired that no one was posting here so I figured I’d add some “relevant” stuff. I was bored one weekend (like 5-8 weeks ago) and decided to order a Hondata IMG (intake manifold gasket…) to take up some time, its only 50 bucks and allegedly helps performance; .5-3hp depending on circumstance.
Seeing as how I live in CA and cold starting isn’t a problem out here (it’s 75 today ) I also did the throttle body coolant bypass.
I took some cool pictures that some will find interesting so here they are, complete with dry comments… oh, and this isn’t a DIY it’s mostly rambling and a little review

the main thing i was impressed with was the quality of the Hondata piece. It was 100.5% accurate to the OEM IMG. i placed the two against each other and there was no overlap, no underlap, and the surface was completely smooth. The Hondata piece was about .5-1cm thick, im very disapointed i didnt get a picture it up against the OEM gasket.

here it is installed, i have circled the gasket in green for those "not-quite-smar....informed" car inthusiasts

as you can see from that picture the gasket is completely flush with the manifold and block. Superb quality i must say.

On a side note, the manifold is a BITCH to take off, but it is possible, i assure you! just cut off the studs on the end and file out part of the block and it'll slide right off...

I also bypassed the TBC line, this was very easy to do. Simply take the short line from the TB and run it back to the TB and the long line from the block and run it back to the block. Here is what it should look like

thats pretty much all there is to it.

For only 50 bucks i would say its money well spent, to be honest i dont notice much of a change at the seat of my pants, but when youve been driving around for a while, you can stop the car and touch the inake manifold without getting burnt, so there is SOMETHING happening.

if anyone else wants to do this you need to order the TSX/element K24 manifold, unless hondata has labeled it to include the fg2... dont by the RSX manifold, the head is noticeably different. anyone who says the si engine is the same as the rsx needs to get the facts straight.

Last edited by AppleSauseSi; 10-27-2006 at 11:35 AM. Reason: linking
Old 10-27-2006, 07:32 PM
HatchVX
Driving a Turbo 2L Terror

Looks good. Hey on the TB you dont have to connect to two points. How are u liking the SI?
Old 10-28-2006, 12:38 AM
AppleSauseSi
Critical S.O.B.

I connected it so dust and crap wouldn’t get in there, also its a nice place to keep the tube if I ever want to put it back to stock.

the si is great, its not the fastest thing out of the box but I cant get over the handling, the build quality is also very nice. it feels refined, like its more than an econo-box fuel sipper. maybe its because I went from a 91 to an 06, but I think its just as nice as my friends G35, that doesn’t even have navi... it may be faster, but the interior isn’t any nicer than the si... the si is a great buy and I completely understand why it won car of the year.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:33 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used the hondata gasket on my hatch (more because of parts availability than anything), and was equally impressed by the quality. In terms of power, you're not going to notice it unless you're doing something to make the motor hot and bothered... and even then, you're still probably not going to notice it.

Side note: the extra mm or so in thickness made it a royal pain in the ass to get the manifold back on (b16a in 5th gen civic).